Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You guys ever switch up calling between moose and elk?

You guys ever switch up calling between moose and elk?

I’ll be primarily hunting elk but if nothing answers for awhile, I might throw out a couple cow moose broadcast calls.

have you guys done this before with success. I know ungulates aren’t geniuses but I don’t want to scare anything away by doing some moose calls.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: You guys ever switch up calling between moose and elk?

Quote Originally Posted by bruce44 View Post
    I’ll be primarily hunting elk but if nothing answers for awhile, I might throw out a couple cow moose broadcast calls.

have you guys done this before with success. I know ungulates aren’t geniuses but I don’t want to scare anything away by doing some moose calls.
    Hunt elk a few seasons then you’ll realize how smart they are. They learn at an incredibly fast rate. And no, I don’t mix calls (unless you physically see a moose)
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Well, I've had bull moose grunt back many times to elk calls, and I know someone who has had elk bugle back at their cow moose calls. So giv'r
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I wont call from same location unless i hear or see a moose i am interested in or find rubs, tracks etc left from a bull moose. I do run into this alot when i am leaving an 'elky' area and getting more into 'moosey' area. I will call after maybe 150 or 200 hundred meters minimum from where i last called elk.

I have been in locations with both moose and elk and where both are active and i had to choose which to try and call. I had a cow elk natter at a bull moose i couldnt see but was grunting as the elk herd was moving by. I have had bull moose come in to elk calls and i have been followed by a bull moose through the bush at night after backing out of a herd of elk where i didnt get a chance at the herd bull. So it shouldnt be that big of a deal since they must interact alot with each other but i think that elk are very smart and learn fast so generally dont mix calls.

Thanks everyone. Ill be hunting by a river, about 2 kms from farm land, so anything could be there.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Well, I've had bull moose grunt back many times to elk calls, and I know someone who has had elk bugle back at their cow moose calls. So giv'r
    We called an elk into about 20 yards, he was a 5 point so he got to walk away. We sat down for a quick snack and new plan right after and we heard a moose grunting his way right in. We got ready,let out a call, amd I shot a 52” bull moose.

Pick one and go with it IMO. You could also put out some deer calls as well I suppose.

I was cow moose callin and had a 5x5 elk walk right up to 64 yards.... i shot the elk.

I have mixed moose and elk calling if in the right area. Certainly did not scare the moose, can't say for sure about the elk but I doubt it. As others have said, just move a 200 yards and change.

what about moose calls while deer hunting? I was in my evening sit a couple days ago glassing for deer, and a bull moose came sauntering in on his own accord. no calling or rattling.

will a fired up bull moose scare away any deer in the area or does it not matter? there was deer and moose sign in this area.