Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISO Pointing dog

ISO Pointing dog

I am looking for a Brittany or Versitile pointing dog. MAY consider a Pointer or Setter from hunting not trial lines(my horses aren't for keeping up with dogs lol) . Pup or Juvinile. Thanks.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 09-19-2020 at 06:21 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: ISO Pointing dog

https://sites.google.com/site/britta...ttany-breeders

A friend in Alberta has been active in NAVHDA for a long time and he recommends Prairiestorm Kennel in Saskatchewan.
    Last edited by huntingfamily; 09-19-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Ok thanks. I'll pass it on. Much appreciated
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Found a Branco Italiano never dealt with the breed, should be interesting thanks all.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 11-17-2020 at 12:44 AM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"

Interesting. I’ve never heard of these before. What are the details? Strictly a pointer? Good with kids?

There wasn’t much on Wikipedia. Lol
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I am really happy with my Drahthaar. Lots of natural ability bred into them. Moderate training for the first 2 years and some light brushing up each fall. Not a fast worker, more medium paced, but full of intensity. Points, retrieves and blood tracks. And the best couch cuddler in the house. If I put more training into it or hired a pro, I am sure he would be way better... but I don't want to change his character from where we are at now. I don't need or want a hunting 'machine'. I think the hunter and the dog should find a natural balance.

My only complaint is that he doesn't make friends easily. Apart from a handful of dogs he knows he can trust, every new dog is suspect and a potential for a fight. He was viciously attacked on 3 separate occasions and is on high alert with all new dogs.
    The Pharmaceutical Industry is just as interested in World Health as the Arms Industry is in World Peace.

"We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one." -Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    . If I put more training into it or hired a pro, I am sure he would be way better... but I don't want to change his character from where we are at now.
    Why would more training change his character?? Unless you train very heavy handed.

Rainer

I think I am very light handed. I have seen pros work and many are not. I do use my ecollar but rarely and only on a very light setting when he willfully ignores a command he knows. I was thinking of force fetch training when I wrote that... and placing more stress on the dog. Our training sessions are pretty short and disguised as fun times. I was thinking that longer sessions and firm handling might change his character from the joy I see him work with now. It's also a matter of having more time to devote to more advanced training. If I hired a pro to take him to the next level, I worry I may not be getting the same dog back.
    The Pharmaceutical Industry is just as interested in World Health as the Arms Industry is in World Peace.

"We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one." -Confucius

Found thanks
    "BORN TO HUNT"

Foxton sent you a pm.