Thread: 8-23/4-32 Airstrip???

8-23/4-32 Airstrip???

So I was at my 90 year old uncles house today who just got back from an elk hunt in northern BC, he was the one who went with me on my first few trips and he has seen a thing or two.

He was telling me about an old airstrip up in the hills around Cherryville (8-23/4-32), I have been looking all over satellite images and cannot seem to see anything that looks like it may have been used for planes or helicopter landings. anyone know anything about this? he mentioned that a guy got busted a few years ago using the strip to get his dope out at night.

thanks for any help!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 8-23/4-32 Airstrip???

Both are close to the highway 8-23 is right off south fork rd heading towards Campbell rd. The one in 4-32 is off Barnes creek rd. Both were used for dope back in the 80s and 90s both are
    over grown and rough now.

Yes, it exists in 8-23. The area gets hunted very hard and is not a secret by any means. I am guessing you are interested due to some hunting stories he told you, not because of the allure of running dope at night. Heli’s can land almost anywhere throughout the valley. It’s easy to identify on sat images, you will find it if you look harder and don’t give up so easily .... but don’t expect any hidden treasure if your scavenger hunt is successful. Many better options to hunt in the area IMO. Lots of recent and ongoing harvesting in this particular area.

There are also other airstrips in this area that were used back in the day along the whole stretch of the valley between cherryville and Edgewood. If you are interested in seeing ‘interesting’ things in the evening, go creep around the backroads of Edgewood and Whatshan areas after sundown.... Be sure your vehicle is reliable...

thank for the info! not really interested in hunting the strip or exploring the questionable activities that occur after dark, just thought it might be a good spot to meet or camp if we are going to be in the area. i'll keep lookingat the maps and maybe take a drive and see what i can find. thanks again for the help