Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First solo hunt !

First solo hunt !

So my girlfriend is finally tired of bushwhacking with me and finding nothing lol. So i'm going to take my first multi day trip in BC alone. I was going to head East of Keefers for some mule deer/black bear in 3-14 (maybe 3-13 depending how adventurous i get) I was curious if there are any grizzly's in there?

Plan is to get as high as possible because it seems like that's where mule deer like it early season ? I will follow up post hunt, probably leaving Monday !

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First solo hunt !

Don't Know about the Grizz, but have a safe hunt, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by robbiej793 View Post
    So my girlfriend is finally tired of bushwhacking with me and finding nothing lol. So i'm going to take my first multi day trip in BC alone. I was going to head East of Keefers for some mule deer/black bear in 3-14 (maybe 3-13 depending how adventurous i get) I was curious if there are any grizzly's in there?

Plan is to get as high as possible because it seems like that's where mule deer like it early season ? I will follow up post hunt, probably leaving Monday !
    Sounds like a fun trip! I haven't hunting that area early season, but I have seen a few bucks in there in the fall.

So, not too sure about elevation, but if you aren't too familiar with the area, I suspect you will be covering ground especially if you get adventurous heading towards 3-13... you will be heading up probably road hunting around with your head on a swivel.... careful about that though as it's a long way down up some of those roads. I figure once you start seeing deer the elevation is getting just about right

I haven't seen any grizz up there but some claim to have. Definitely a few black bears in those parts. Worth bringing a shotgun too... you just might see the odd bird

6.5 Creedmoor ill just head shoot them. Thanks for the input guys appreciate it !

Yes, grizzlies throughout the whole area. Quite common in all the areas east of Hwy 97 from sicamous to the north to Kelowna in the south. 8-23, 24, 25, 4-32, 8-13 all have healthy grizzly populations but not anything to be afraid of.

Be smart, be prepared, and you Will be fine

* ignore above, thought you meant keefer lake area. No idea where ‘keefers’ is in 3/14, 3/13
    Last edited by thick; 09-17-2020 at 07:24 PM.

Built some road up around there a number of years ago and there was a lot of black bears a decent number of Muleys and I did see a grizzly sow with 2 cubs. There was also Goats up in some of the high country. Black bears will be up high with the berries and probably a few deer. Not sure what the cut block situation is up there right now but if you can find one or two with lots of forage there should be some deer in there as well.

Good luck on your hunt...and your journey...hunting solo miles away from the nearest person is when you really get to know yourself!

A solo hunter is the best hunter.

Don't worry about the bears, just be smart about camping in bear country and keep a clean camp!

Quote Originally Posted by thick View Post
    Yes, grizzlies throughout the whole area. Quite common in all the areas east of Hwy 97 from sicamous to the north to Kelowna in the south. 8-23, 24, 25, 4-32, 8-13 all have healthy grizzly populations but not anything to be afraid of.

Be smart, be prepared, and you Will be fine

* ignore above, thought you meant keefer lake area. No idea where ‘keefers’ is in 3/14, 3/13
    just south of lytton ! Thanks though.

Seen some goats. Some far away bears fighting and a cow moose came running by close . Couple mule deer does but no bucks. I wasn’t able to get up where I wanted to as the road was blocked so I’ll be looking for different routes next time !

It’s always good to get out, no matter the result. Better luck next time!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.