Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Region 6 GOS moose- how did it go?

Region 6 GOS moose- how did it go?

My crew did well and it seemed the moose were in full rut. The snow and colder temps were awesome. More moose sign and less wolf sign than i normally see. How did it go for everybody else?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Region 6 GOS moose- how did it go?

We hit a few old spots on the trapline the last 2 days of the season. My gal got it done on the last day .

Must say, it’s the most moose sign Iv seen in a lot of years, and likewise with the lack of wolf sign. We did see a couple old tracks, but nothing to amount to much. We’r hoping to try our hand with wolf snaring this winter, with a population of moose, I’m sure the wolves will follow.

With the cold and snow saw lots of moose, saw bulls everyday. Put one on the ground Thursday morning. Stay tuned for story.

Saw a bunch of moose including two bulls, unfortunately no shot opportunity so came home with good memories. Can't complain about the action though!

Wow that is all good news for region 6. I also think numbers are recovering well in most areas. However, i happened to be in 6-1 for the 3 day opening and bumped into nothing but wolves! i believe it was 2 packs in the same large valley and 1 pack on each side of the major drainage. There was fresh snow and we did not cut 1 set of fresh moose tracks on quad, truck and foot. Oddly enough there was 2 moose on the first day that were pushed into a lake close by our camp, 1 bull and 1 cow, the bull was taken by other hunters. No one we talked to besides them saw moose, 1 wolf was shot close to our camp as well.

Our group of 5 got 2 on the first day, seen lots of sign and numerous fresh rubs, on Thursday they didn’t seem to be moving as much as the other 2 days.

Good to hear of the success some guys had, but the question for the thread is way to general.....at least without responses all saying what unit they hunted in. Region 6 is vast and things can vary enormously in that large of an area. Just because one group of hunters does well does not mean the whole region is seeing big improvements in moose numbers. There has also been some wolf control done in some areas this past winter and it has resulted in less wolf sign in those areas, but it is way too recent to have a significant impact on moose numbers yet.

I like information as well as the next guy, but only information that is specific enough to be of actual value.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    Good to hear of the success some guys had, but the question for the thread is way to general.....at least without responses all saying what unit they hunted in. Region 6 is vast and things can vary enormously in that large of an area. Just because one group of hunters does well does not mean the whole region is seeing big improvements in moose numbers. There has also been some wolf control done in some areas this past winter and it has resulted in less wolf sign in those areas, but it is way too recent to have a significant impact on moose numbers yet.

I like information as well as the next guy, but only information that is specific enough to be of actual value.

Good points

Yet let me summarize

”where’s your honey hole”

Quote Originally Posted by whognu View Post
    Good points

Yet let me summarize

”where’s your honey hole”
    Not at all....but narrowing it down to an actual management unit instead of the region would be a bit more useful in determining if things are improving or getting worse. Saying you killed a bull in Region 6 is about as useful as saying "right behind the shoulder". It is not about finding out someones honey hole...it's about getting a feel for whether the moose numbers and impact by wolves is getting better or worse. But whatever.....carry on.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

I understand fully what you’re saying and I wasn’t picking a fight

I guess my point would be that already with several groups saying “region 6 was great we shot lots of bulls and saw many more” that this alone will send a helluva lot more hunters into 6

to identify the region further even is potentially asking for total wipe out

again

chris