Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting and area info mu3-29 kamloops

Hunting and area info mu3-29 kamloops

Hey everybody! Ive landed a moose leh for mu329a just looking for any info some may be willing to provide im bringing my boys out thinking red lake area? Ive never been anywhere hunting on the mainland, we are from the island, here we slay the deer but im feeling way out of my element hunting an unknown area ive researched thick and thin just looking for as much info as possible for a succesful hunt we are looking for camping spots and spots to hopefully see something if anyone is into the challege of island deer id gladly return the favor! Thanks in advance good luck to all this season

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting and area info mu3-29 kamloops

Congratulations. I can’t say I’m not jealous!!! Red lake has a rec. site for camping. You can get all the info you need from google. You probably already know, but that area has a ban on atv use for the purpose of hunting. Good luck and have a good time. It’s a great area.

Moose populations are a fraction of what they traditionally were in that MU. It may not be as easy a hunt as one might think. Red Lk is not very high in elevation and the better moose country is the higher stuff, which is not really that close to Red. It's doable, but I wouldn't go to Red Lk expecting the immediate area busy with moose.

There are obviously some moose around but it's not a gimmie by a long shot.

Good luck.

Red Lake/Chris Creek and surrounding area, basically the whole valley beyond the provincial park, is majority private property so make sure you know what is actually crown land as that is up to your due diligence to know, it doesn't have to be posted. In the 10 years I've had property up there, I've never seen a moose, even on my trail cameras in the area, or coming and going to the property. Don't recall off the top of my head where all the LEH and MU boundaries are but you'd probably be better at the North Eastern most corner of your LEH unit, closer to the Sawmill, Bonaparte, or Porcupine areas. As mentioned above, moose populations are hurting, I see a fraction of what I did even 5 to 10 years ago.
    Last edited by russm86; 09-18-2020 at 08:01 AM.

Be prepared to do your part with the wolves!
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Its a great area but has become harder and harder to hunt the past 10-15 years. If you are going to Red Lake then take some fishing gear, the fishing can be outrageous there in the late season. I use to hunt Muleys in that region but they have been decimated by FN and wolves in that area. Its going to be a tough slog finding moose but they are likely in there, be prepared to do a lot of hiking.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Go high and to the north end of the MU. They are mainly in pockets and don’t move until the snow gets deep. Wolves and others things have reduced the numbers for sure. Your draw for October or November? Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 point View Post
    Go high and to the north end of the MU. They are mainly in pockets and don’t move until the snow gets deep. Wolves and others things have reduced the numbers for sure. Your draw for October or November? Good luck.

That’s what I would do as well.
    I got that draw few years ago in October , pm me and I tell u where I got mine.
    There’s actually pretty healthy population up there , I got 2 legal immature bulls on trail cam up there this spring on 1 camera ... good luck finding them when their open tho!

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

There's moose there, you just have to put the time in to find them, I would look at the NW end of your zone.

I'll be up there for the next week and then for most of OCT/NOV, send me a PM when your going up and Ill see if I have any current info for you, good luck.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I have a draw for 3-29b in November. I'm thinking of going the last half of the month. Never hunted for them in your area, what time oct or nov?
    Maybe camp along the northern border, criss creek.