Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bear with an ear tag on trailcam?

Re: Bear with an ear tag on trailcam?

Quote Originally Posted by HeadingOutside View Post
    I work with large animals and medications including those used to sedate them.
    You'd have to be harvesting the animal within a week, maybe two of it being tagged to have to worry about residual meds. Even then you'll be fine if you don't have an allergy to it. Fret not.
    Can you provide any research to back up your claim?

Most jurisdictions will advise not to consume animals that have been tranquilized within the last 12 months.

The problem is that these drugs have not been tested for human consumption.

I've shot two tagged animals, a moose and a ewe. Neither had tags that tags were visible as they were tiny buttons that fit fully inside the earlobe.
    It really sucks to kill an animal for food only to learn that it may be toxic....

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I shot one with a tag once and called it in and they never said anything about not safe to eat. it had been tagged when trapped in Maple Ridge and released way up at the end of Sowaqua FSR. I got it in the next drainage south of there.
    Yes, it was interesting. They said it had been trapped and released with cubs the year before but it was solo when I saw it. Not a big bear either.

Maybe they didn't survive the winter or suffered from being dropped into a larger bear's area.

Been his first warning! Three strikes you're out!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

thanks for taking the time to post the bear and deer - super cool to see after reading your stalk story!

Quote Originally Posted by boilerroom View Post
    thanks for taking the time to post the bear and deer - super cool to see after reading your stalk story!
    Thanks boilerroom. It was very cool to see trailcam video of that buck. I had been seeing him around for a few weeks prior to bow season and despite cameras in the area I was only seeing some does.

I went back there to recover my arrow over the weekend (after searching for 8 hours I finally found it... both pieces) and had just enough time to check the trailcams. It wasn't until I got home I noticed the buck on a couple of the videos. Also some cool footage of the whitetail doe with the whitetail buck wandering about in the background) ... funny enough in both cases, it seems the only reason the bucks were filmed was from the doe setting off the camera LOL ... also some cool footage of a pine marten jumping around... I wanted to mix Mario Brother sound effects in that one. Anyway I mixed all that in with a long video of the whole arrow recovery trip. Not going to post that whole thing up here as few people want to watch a crazy man "Blair Witch" search for an arrow, but the footage is out there... anyone bored enough to track it down just might be bored enough to watch it

Surprising how many bears are hanging out in that patch of timber. Counted 5 or 6 unique bears between cameras and first hand. Not much in the way of berries around there and for quite some ways.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 09-17-2020 at 03:23 PM.