Thread: What do you guys consider “accompanying a cub”

What do you guys consider “accompanying a cub”

I’m paraphrasing but the law says you can’t shoot a cub or any bears accompanying it.

Saw 3 adult bears and 1 cub all eating at a cutblock. They were all around 500 meters from each other. One was clearly the mother because the cub wouldn’t leave her. What is considered accompanying? Is there a minimum distance involved? I couldn’t believe there were so many black bears in one berry patch.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What do you guys consider “accompanying a cub”

This is a good question.

I believe the spirit of the law is any cub that is still dependent on it's mother in any way. The letter of the law does use the term accompanied which is not defined in any measurable way.

This can be difficult to determine even if the spring with extreme due diligence. I once watched a sow for hours over two consecutive nights feeding just around the tree line about 10 yards into the open.

It was not until hours of watching over two days that I noticed a couple of little fur balls messing about about 10 yards behind the tree line.

In the fall, sows can cruise around their circuits a few km's away from cubs and will leave them up in a tree somewhere.

I would say if you watch a sow for over 10 minutes and have no reason to believe there are cubs around, the law will probably be on your side. That said, I just avoid shooting sows all together for reasons mentioned above.

If you have to think about it.Go look for another bear.There are lots of bears around and when you see a decent one you'll know it a boar without a doubt.

In the fall, I wouldnt shoot any bears that weren’t single.
    In the breeding season, it’s a different matter.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Yeah I didn't shoot any of them. It was getting dark and I didn't feel like looking for a bear in the dark with 2 adults and 1 cub walking around nearby.

check for the correct wording, its pretty clear
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    check for the correct wording, its pretty clear
    It is unlawful to shoot a bear under 2 years old or any bears accompanying it. Your response offers no value. As I mentioned already, if there is 1 cub and 3 adults all within 600 yards, what is considered accompanying? There’s no black and white standard. 600 yards apart in a open field could be considered accompanying. 600 yards in dense bush may not.

600 yards ? thats a long way . ive seen several bears feeding in one slide.. in my OPINION , THE LONE BEAR OVER 6 FT IS THE SHOOTER . So .. i would look to WATCH the LONE BEAR .. mostly off on its OWN . 600 yards is lots of room . If I felt that is in fact a LONE MALE . Then so be it . I dont shoot fall bears . they have crappy coats . wait for spring , Find a NICE LONE BEAR . you will be much happier to have it .. ..
    " Never tell me the Odds "

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDEN TOP SNIPER View Post
    600 yards ? thats a long way . ive seen several bears feeding in one slide.. in my OPINION , THE LONE BEAR OVER 6 FT IS THE SHOOTER . So .. i would look to WATCH the LONE BEAR .. mostly off on its OWN . 600 yards is lots of room . If I felt that is in fact a LONE MALE . Then so be it . I dont shoot fall bears . they have crappy coats . wait for spring , Find a NICE LONE BEAR . you will be much happier to have it .. ..
    I thought fall bears had better meat? Im not after fur.