Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What kind of buck is a big BC buck?

Re: What kind of buck is a big BC buck?

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    What are the general thoughts around 4 pt season?

I totally get that it is a way to manage people and prevent every hunter single from being successful which could impact populations, but at the same time, there are a lot of bucks with inferior genetics that will live and die as a two point (sometimes a huge massive body two point) and can not be harvested... heck they can walk around in traffic and remain untouchable by hunters... but they get additional living and breeding opportunity for being dumb and genetically inferior while the genetics that produce nice racks are targeted more because they are the only option for meat hunters most of the year.

I honestly have no idea but it is a question I always wonder. Would we actually have more 4 points if there weren't 4 point seasons? Hunters do need to acknowledge that points are not necessarily a sign of majority. I would wager more forks, 3x2's and 3x3's die of old age than 4+ point deer just as more humans die of old age under 5'10 than larger. A 50 year old dude at 5'9 isn't gonna grow "a little bigger next year" (at least in height) and it's often just the same with deer and points... do even 50% of bucks that die of old age ever acquire 4 points? I'm curious to know that.

To me it just seems bad from a genetics perspective, but perhaps necessary for overall numbers.

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy who thinks about stuff and I am not always very good at it
    I'd suggest guys take a look at the Mule Deer Working Group - A collection of the top wildlife biologists in North America.

Their conclusion on antler point restrictions (4 point seasons):

After decades of use and many evaluations reporting disappointing results, most western states and provinceshave discontinued statewide antler point restrictions. The two main reasons for abandoning widespread antlerpoint restrictions are (1) unacceptable accidental-illegal kill, and (2) harvest mortality was increased (focused) onthe very age classes they intended to promote. Available data and experience suggest antler point restrictions resultin no long-term increase in either the proportion or number of mature bucks, or the total deer population. A fewjurisdictions still have limited areas with antler point restrictions, due to hunter preference. The use of antler pointrestrictions in a combined strategy with general seasons is used in at least one case to maximize hunting opportunity.There are additional reasons why the widespread use of antler point restrictions has not been successful. Researchhas shown buck fawns born to does in poor body condition have difficulty outgrowing the effects of poor bodycondition at birth, and may never reach their genetic potential for antler growth. Regulations protecting thesebucks from harvest are counterproductive to the intended benefit.Most western states and provinces have concluded that sustainable improvements in buck:doe ratios and the numberof mature bucks can only be realized by reducing harvest through 1) a limited-quota license system that decreasesoverall total buck harvest while allowing some level of doe harvest, or 2) setting a very short hunting season in earlyfall when more mature bucks are less vulnerable.It has been suggested while antler point restrictions may increase the proportion of bucks in certain populations withlow buck:doe ratios, there is no evidence they substantially increase the total number of adult (mature) bucks.

A product of the Mule Deer Working Group - Sponsored by the Western Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies - Approved July 2013Produced with support from the Mule Deer Foundation (www.muledeer.org)More information on mule deer can be found at www.muledeerworkinggroup.com
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Re: What kind of buck is a big BC buck?

I'd say with rare exceptions, the biggest BC mule bucks (broadly based on a typical frame size) go slightly over 200". I'd say there much, much fewer bucks of this caliber (even 170-200) than ever, but I'm guessing that provincially, a handful still hit the dirt every year.