Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What kind of buck is a big BC buck?

Re: What kind of buck is a big BC buck?

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    30 years of hunting mule deer and my name isn't in the book. Dosen't mean I haven't had the opportunity sometimes the stars just don't quite align.
    In hunting, you can do everything right, and still fail. And that's ok.

As for the bucks, I would say those bucks are average. Your standard couple years old bucks.

Things in BC have changed over the years. I dont think monster mulies are hitting the ground like they used to in the mid 2000s and earlier. I think the record book entries would probably confirm that.

I would say a BIG buck nowdays is 170" or better.
    HUGE WOULD BE 180 or better.

I wont pass on anything that looks 150+

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    In hunting, you can do everything right, and still fail. And that's ok.

As for the bucks, I would say those bucks are average. Your standard couple years old bucks.

Things in BC have changed over the years. I dont think monster mulies are hitting the ground like they used to in the mid 2000s and earlier. I think the record book entries would probably confirm that.

I would say a BIG buck nowdays is 170" or better.
    HUGE WOULD BE 180 or better.

I wont pass on anything that looks 150+
    Hunting for a trophy buck is really a challenge. First off you can find one in almost any part of bc. But that's just luck. When you really start digging you will start to see genetic defects in areas that produce big deer but will cause them to fall short of the book. Then the hunt for the area that produces good genetics starts. If you think hunting deer takes up a lot of time and money well get ready.

Hunting for a trophy buck is really a challenge. First off you can find one in almost any part of bc. But that's just luck. When you really start digging you will start to see genetic defects in areas that produce big deer but will cause them to fall short of the book. Then the hunt for the area that produces good genetics starts. If you think hunting deer takes up a lot of time and money well get ready.
    What are the general thoughts around 4 pt season?

I totally get that it is a way to manage people and prevent every hunter single from being successful which could impact populations, but at the same time, there are a lot of bucks with inferior genetics that will live and die as a two point (sometimes a huge massive body two point) and can not be harvested... heck they can walk around in traffic and remain untouchable by hunters... but they get additional living and breeding opportunity for being dumb and genetically inferior while the genetics that produce nice racks are targeted more because they are the only option for meat hunters most of the year.

I honestly have no idea but it is a question I always wonder. Would we actually have more 4 points if there weren't 4 point seasons? Hunters do need to acknowledge that points are not necessarily a sign of majority. I would wager more forks, 3x2's and 3x3's die of old age than 4+ point deer just as more humans die of old age under 5'10 than larger. A 50 year old dude at 5'9 isn't gonna grow "a little bigger next year" (at least in height) and it's often just the same with deer and points... do even 50% of bucks that die of old age ever acquire 4 points? I'm curious to know that.

To me it just seems bad from a genetics perspective, but perhaps necessary for overall numbers.

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy who thinks about stuff and I am not always very good at it
    Last edited by caddisguy; 09-15-2020 at 11:44 PM.

I would say any mule deer over 160" is a big BC buck. Most deer are probably gonna need 4-6 years of age to get there, and not too many guys get deer in that 5+ age range it seems.

I'm not a biologist so I cant say what effect hunting may have on genetics. Hopefully none. The point I was trying to make is my hunting partner and I have definitely been noticing certain areas definitely have bucks with similar traits in their antler configurations that will hold them back from the inches needed to make the book. Personally I have only seen a handful of truly mature 3 point deer that will never get a forth point. It does happen but in my opinion probably not as much as people think.

Caddisguy- I agree with you. The point system seems counter-intuitive when you look at it from a perspective of breeding potential. You WANT the strongest and smartest bucks breeding with the does. That’s how you get the strongest overall population. I, as a meat hunter, would be totally happy with a two point. But I am forced to target the “better” deer. This obviously helps population numbers, as those better deer are usually smarter/warier and avoid predators and hunters easier than the young and dumb bucks. But when the “better” deer are killed, it has a bigger negative effect on the future generations.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Those pics are dandy bucks, not huge rack wise but beauty healthy looking animals. I dont worry too much about the biggest bucks out there. I have been lucky to harvest 1 over 170 and he was a horse but most of my deer like you were to fill the freezer, thats always been my goal as I have limited time afield usually have 2 weeks max to get it done and I dont usually have many scouting opportunities.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

I'm not a biologist so I cant say what effect hunting may have on genetics. Hopefully none. The point I was trying to make is my hunting partner and I have definitely been noticing certain areas definitely have bucks with similar traits in their antler configurations that will hold them back from the inches needed to make the book. Personally I have only seen a handful of truly mature 3 point deer that will never get a forth point. It does happen but in my opinion probably not as much as people think.
    Hunting does have an impact on genetics. There are a couple of well known wintering grounds along the Fraser river where there 4 point only season and 3 buck limits decimated the 4 point genetics. That area has a lot of funky bucks and a lot less of them reaching 4 pts than before.

Its insane how long it takes to implement changes in this province. We are likely to Lose all of our damn deer before the province realizes something should be done about the wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Hunting does have an impact on genetics. There are a couple of well known wintering grounds along the Fraser river where there 4 point only season and 3 buck limits decimated the 4 point genetics. That area has a lot of funky bucks and a lot less of them reaching 4 pts than before.

Its insane how long it takes to implement changes in this province. We are likely to Lose all of our damn deer before the province realizes something should be done about the wolves.
    Yes the wolves are definitely a much larger problem than what people realize.