Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tahltan nation to hunt grizzlies and other predators to help ungulates

Re: Tahltan nation to hunt grizzlies and other predators to help ungulates

Quote Originally Posted by SBvias View Post
    I'm for pro resident hunter rights as the next person in this community. But I still recognize the harm that was done to folks that were here first.
    Safety and Prosperity. I'm not blind to the facts that FN and other races experienced racism and exclusion in this Country. There were laws against people owning land and other unfair practices. I wouldn't want to experience what they went through. Just talk to older generation of people of minority groups. They often have stories of how they were spat on, threatened, bullied etc.

Just in case people forget their high school social studies:
    http://media.openschool.bc.ca/osbcme...Text_Part3.pdf

Our own goverment and corporations have not had the greatest track record in the past regarding the enviroment which affected hunting and fishing (Housing Development, overfishing, mining and Forestry to name a few.
    Hunters profess to know whats best because we're out there and value the resource. Why do we put down other allies we have against those who would ban hunting altogether? They had thousands of years of living with the land in a much less disruptive way than we do now.
    Blah blah blah, show me one group of people on this planet who hasn't been beat down and conquered at one point or another. Bullied, hell enough non FN's were bullied all the way through school and adult life throughout history. Those arguments are pointless and non-sequiter. Just because they have history here doesn't give them some magical knowledge on dealing with anything other than the subsistence living they embraced.

One law to rule the land is the only way to have any kind of cohesive and successful country. Continual splintering by special interests groups isn't advancing anything other than pitting groups against each other.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Well, I guess if they can do it so can WE!

When the rule of law is not followed and applied equally to ALL, anarchy will soon ensue!!!!
    Last edited by hawk-i; 09-16-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by weatherby_man View Post
    Blah blah blah, show me one group of people on this planet who hasn't been beat down and conquered at one point or another. Bullied, hell enough non FN's were bullied all the way through school and adult life throughout history. Those arguments are pointless and non-sequiter. Just because they have history here doesn't give them some magical knowledge on dealing with anything other than the subsistence living they embraced.

One law to rule the land is the only way to have any kind of cohesive and successful country. Continual splintering by special interests groups isn't advancing anything other than pitting groups against each other.
    I agree with you with one law for the land. But they didn't agree with it, they were forced into it.
    I had the opportunity to work with a lot of FN communities with work projects. Sometimes it helps to walk a mile in someone else's shoes. Maybe the world would be a better place. The argument isn't pointless but its pointless to try to change someone's perspective on these types of forums so I'll stop.

"Blah Blah Blah "
    Thats why most people stereotype hunters.
    Not arguing with anyone here. Not sure why the original poster posted knowing the types of responses that would be posted :P

There's laws that I don't agree with but I'm forced into following...but I get over it.

The Cutbanks Conversations podcast with President Day is a great one, and one that people should listen to, but I've got a few comments. The Cutbanks hosts aren't professional interviewers, let alone professional political interviewers.

I won't go so far as to say they treated President Day with kid gloves, but there was certainly an opportunity for some pushback which they didn't take advantage of. That's not a knock on the Cutbanks' hosts - first, it's a conservation/hunting podcast, not a political podcast, and second, I'm not sure any pushback from them would have been particularly constructive.

President Day is a politician, as he often admits. Politicians tailor their messages to their audiences. Sometimes people hear a few things that a politician says and decide "This guy is speaking my language!"

Be careful with that. Tahltan territory, roughly 11% of the province, is shut down to DIY resident hunters. There are plenty of justifications for this and I won't get into them, but....it's not shut down to all hunters. There is a thread on this forum about a successful caribou hunt in Tahltan territory that confirms that. It's possible (and I'm going way out on a limb here, I know) that President Day says some things to other audiences that won't especially please some of the people commenting on this thread. Do your research. I'm not pointing to anything that isn't already public on the web.

In fact, many FNs are pretty open and honest about their positions on things, which is both commendable and refreshing. You don't need a lot of FOI requests. This is a link to the actual Tahltan Predator Plan announcement is an example of Tahltan transparency:

https://tahltan.org/wp-content/uploa...er-15-2020.pdf

A lot of guys who want predator control will like the idea. Guys who are fine with predator control but really want scientific management of wildlife will have some obvious questions.

Above all, I think it's fair to say this plan is political first, and motivated by conservation second. We can argue that all day long (Which I won't - draw your own conclusions) but pay close attention to these sorts of developments. There's lots under the surface.

I will say this: props to Chad Day for going up against the provincial government and doing so in broad daylight like a full grown man. Love him or hate him, he's demonstrating that he's rocking some cojones.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

If you guys think that the Tahltan would have our interest in looking after game management think again there all for themselves , i've been up there enough times to know , Tahltan people have told me many times they don't want the the whiteman there and want to close hunting to us . might as well vote the NDP in again as well , because we all will be screwed
    Last edited by Trapper; 09-16-2020 at 12:50 PM.

They've always been hunting predators, including g-bears. They aren't doing anything different now than they were doing before.
    Does anyone think they were not hunting grizz because the ndp banned it for bc residents?

Btw, who is 'President' Day?

So here's the real question, how are they going to stop armed hunters that are determined to hunt where they want?
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Btw, who is 'President' Day?
    Just trying to be polite

In case the question was for real, Chad Day is president of the Tahltan Central Government.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Somewhat off topic here, there is a caste system in most FN societies. This goes back to slavery and raiding parties, stealing children etc.

I have had this explained to me from FN people, it’s interesting that they know where the slavery lines are to this day.

Its not all love and peace.

My sincerest apology for the derailment.
    Blacktailaholic