Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 59 of 59

Thread: Tahltan nation to hunt grizzlies and other predators to help ungulates

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,010

    Re: Tahltan nation to hunt grizzlies and other predators to help ungulates

    They will kill every G-Bear in their area,,sad but true,,and us whities will have no part in it,,illegal iradcation of a species in my opinion,,shitbags

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    PG
    Posts
    61

    Re: Tahltan nation to hunt grizzlies and other predators to help ungulates

    Good for the Tahltan. They are sick and tired of Gov't BS not supporting responsible wildlife management and letting industry run rampant with no regard for environmental values so, they're taking matters into their own hands. It's hypocritical of folks on these forums to voice unsupported claims the Tahltan are taking action for their own selfish reasons when the people making those claims about the Tahltan are themselves doing the same thing through a different lens.

    The cooperation between FN, resident hunters and gov't is going to require compromise from ALL parties. The old way of stubborn, opinionated, my way or the highway school of thought hasn't worked and breeds separation and contempt.

    And people can try and argue that every race/culture/creed whatever has faced some form of colonialism or takeover at some time, but in my opinion that's a moot point. Lot's of cultures have faced genocide (cultural genocide as well), slavery, "ethnic cleansing", etc. doesn't mean it was OK that it happened and that it should just be swept under the rug and forgotten about. That's what progress is about, learning from our past.

    There are a lot of white people in Canada and on this forum that feel like their ways of life/belief are under siege from another belief system or culture. That's fair, I sometimes feel like that in regards to the FN, resident hunter, Gov't disinterest in rural BC, etc. too. But its pretty narrow minded to feel that way and not be empathetic and understand that the other side feels like that too (for good reason), and has for a VERY long time.

    I don't intend to knock peoples beliefs or insult anyone here but I think it's time all groups regardless of race, religion or beliefs, decide to cooperate and work towards what's best for one of our mutual interests, the wildlife of BC and the places they live. We as hunters can do that and maybe then the general population will stop painting every hunter with the same "racist, redneck, murderer, etc." brush.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    12,240

    Re: Tahltan nation to hunt grizzlies and other predators to help ungulates

    JSaw : Re: Tahltan nation to hunt grizzlies and other predators to help ungulates

    Good for the Tahltan. They are sick and tired of Gov't BS not supporting responsible wildlife management and letting industry run rampant with no regard for environmental values so, they're taking matters into their own hands. It's hypocritical of folks on these forums to voice unsupported claims the Tahltan are taking action for their own selfish reasons when the people making those claims about the Tahltan are themselves doing the same thing through a different lens.

    REALLY. ! You Believe the Tahltan Band ? All they want is ALL the Game to them selves - And NO Whities hunting in there area ! RJ
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 01-14-2021 at 01:10 PM.
    INDIGENOUS JIM - Born and Raised in British Columbia !

    Member : CCFR & BCWF








  4. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Okanagan
    Posts
    13,196

    Re: Tahltan nation to hunt grizzlies and other predators to help ungulates

    The Indigenous Leadership Initiative is dedicated to facilitating the strengthening of Indigenous Nationhood for the fulfillment of the Indigenous cultural responsibility to our lands, the emergence of new generations of Indigenous leaders, and helping communities develop the skills and capacity that they will need as they continue to become fully respected and equally treated partners in Canada’s system of governance and its economic and social growth.

    The Indigenous Leadership Initiative is dedicated to advancing the role of Indigenous Nations in deciding the future of traditional territories. We are an Indigenous-led organization. Our Senior Leaders have decades of experience on the land, in Indigenous leadership and governance, in territorial and provincial government, in Parliament and federal cabinet, and in national commissions and international arena.

    https://www.ilinationhood.ca/mission
    Never say 'whoa' in the middle of a mud hole.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    5,427

    Re: Tahltan nation to hunt grizzlies and other predators to help ungulates

    look at the history of immigrants here...in fact maybe look into why they wanted to come here in the first place....I did some reading about Icelandic settlers in Manitoba...they were also shunned by some of the early Canadian people...most forget it was a very small select group of the elite that were abusing everyone else including their own poorer people...revisionist history or cherry picking facts does not paint a complete picture of how society used to "function"
    Quote Originally Posted by SBvias View Post
    I'm for pro resident hunter rights as the next person in this community. But I still recognize the harm that was done to folks that were here first.
    Safety and Prosperity. I'm not blind to the facts that FN and other races experienced racism and exclusion in this Country. There were laws against people owning land and other unfair practices. I wouldn't want to experience what they went through. Just talk to older generation of people of minority groups. They often have stories of how they were spat on, threatened, bullied etc.

    Just in case people forget their high school social studies:
    http://media.openschool.bc.ca/osbcme...Text_Part3.pdf

    Our own goverment and corporations have not had the greatest track record in the past regarding the enviroment which affected hunting and fishing (Housing Development, overfishing, mining and Forestry to name a few.
    Hunters profess to know whats best because we're out there and value the resource. Why do we put down other allies we have against those who would ban hunting altogether? They had thousands of years of living with the land in a much less disruptive way than we do now.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    108 Mile Ranch
    Posts
    21

    Re: Tahltan nation to hunt grizzlies and other predators to help ungulates

    BC is in a real pickle being that 95% of the land is unceded (see previous post). Treaties in BC should have been negotiated before confederation. Now it's a mess and it going to continue to be a mess until treaties are worked out similar to what the Nishga'a did. Until BC clears up this big issue, white and indigenous (hunting & fishing) rights will continue to be a bone of contention. Thousand of years of environmental management by First Nations has to account for something. Right? The climate, environment and nature is on a collision with human kind. First Nation have always been considerate of the generation coming after them and which I might add still exists to this day.

    Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    The Indigenous Leadership Initiative is dedicated to facilitating the strengthening of Indigenous Nationhood for the fulfillment of the Indigenous cultural responsibility to our lands, the emergence of new generations of Indigenous leaders, and helping communities develop the skills and capacity that they will need as they continue to become fully respected and equally treated partners in Canada’s system of governance and its economic and social growth.

    The Indigenous Leadership Initiative is dedicated to advancing the role of Indigenous Nations in deciding the future of traditional territories. We are an Indigenous-led organization. Our Senior Leaders have decades of experience on the land, in Indigenous leadership and governance, in territorial and provincial government, in Parliament and federal cabinet, and in national commissions and international arena.

    https://www.ilinationhood.ca/mission
    Nothing like a screaming reel and a moose calling back, eh?

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Okanagan
    Posts
    13,196

    Re: Tahltan nation to hunt grizzlies and other predators to help ungulates

    What management was needed in pre-contact times? Likely none, as long as they could manage to find food for the winter for the kids and the dogs.
    They managed to travel and follow food as needed.
    Pre-medicine, pre-firearms, pre-trading posts, life and needs were pretty simple to support the small populations.
    Never say 'whoa' in the middle of a mud hole.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,720

    Re: Tahltan nation to hunt grizzlies and other predators to help ungulates

    Quote Originally Posted by callnmin View Post
    BC is in a real pickle being that 95% of the land is unceded (see previous post). Treaties in BC should have been negotiated before confederation. Now it's a mess and it going to continue to be a mess until treaties are worked out similar to what the Nishga'a did. Until BC clears up this big issue, white and indigenous (hunting & fishing) rights will continue to be a bone of contention. Thousand of years of environmental management by First Nations has to account for something. Right? The climate, environment and nature is on a collision with human kind. First Nation have always been considerate of the generation coming after them and which I might add still exists to this day.
    Yes, I witness their management techniques nearly every week. A few take what they need and a few more kill up to 70 moose a year to sell for booze and drugs. Many on the local band would like to stop the poachers but chief and council seem to have no inclination to move on the issue.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,334

    Re: Tahltan nation to hunt grizzlies and other predators to help ungulates

    Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    Yes, I witness their management techniques nearly every week. A few take what they need and a few more kill up to 70 moose a year to sell for booze and drugs. Many on the local band would like to stop the poachers but chief and council seem to have no inclination to move on the issue.
    Chief and councils have limited ability to deal with individuals.

    The Charter gives Individual Indians legal protection of Natural harvest rights.

    It won't be long now (decades) and Individual Indians will be taking their Nations to court over harvesting rights.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •