Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tahltan nation to hunt grizzlies and other predators to help ungulates

Re: Tahltan nation to hunt grizzlies and other predators to help ungulates

Quote Originally Posted by SBvias View Post
    The days of colonialism are gone.
    Then the King will not offer the safety and prosperity as he has done since contact?

Part of me wonders if they, a strong indigenous community, may actually be able to do a better job than our current wildlife management strategy (bogged down by politics). The Tahltan leader has said that he wants to work with non-indigenous people to manage game in a sustainable way, which includes hunting grizzlys. I suggest people listen to the Hunter Conservationist Podcast podcast on this issue. I felt really hopeful after hearing him speak about their desire to manage game within their territory. I feel much better about what they are saying then our politicians

Grizzlies would be much easier to manage than wolves.
    If they want to manage wolves in a large roadless landscape, then there are only two methods that would be effective....poison and aerial gunning. One of those methods is expensive.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by SBvias View Post
    The days of colonialism are gone.
    So too are the days when the FN were the only people here.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Interesting read. Let’s see how the NDP and anti’s like this. Someone has to get the ball rolling, may as well be the Tahltan.
    Let's see what happens when a social justice warrior has to choose between being anti hunting and denying first nations proposals. To their own people the SJW's will either be pro hunting or racist.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    Part of me wonders if they, a strong indigenous community, may actually be able to do a better job than our current wildlife management strategy (bogged down by politics). The Tahltan leader has said that he wants to work with non-indigenous people to manage game in a sustainable way, which includes hunting grizzlys. I suggest people listen to the Hunter Conservationist Podcast podcast on this issue. I felt really hopeful after hearing him speak about their desire to manage game within their territory. I feel much better about what they are saying then our politicians
    As long as their management program is not focused on excluding other BC residents, I am sure they would do a better job than our government, as they are not beholden to urban voters
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Grizzlies would be much easier to manage than wolves.
    If they want to manage wolves in a large roadless landscape, then there are only two methods that would be effective....poison and aerial gunning. One of those methods is expensive.

SSS
    You gotta prove what doesn’t work before you move to plan B, C or D.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce44 View Post
    Let's see what happens when a social justice warrior has to choose between being anti hunting and denying first nations proposals. To their own people the SJW's will either be pro hunting or racist.
    I can see the heads exploding now, hahahahaha.....
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

I'm for pro resident hunter rights as the next person in this community. But I still recognize the harm that was done to folks that were here first.
    Safety and Prosperity. I'm not blind to the facts that FN and other races experienced racism and exclusion in this Country. There were laws against people owning land and other unfair practices. I wouldn't want to experience what they went through. Just talk to older generation of people of minority groups. They often have stories of how they were spat on, threatened, bullied etc.

Just in case people forget their high school social studies:
    http://media.openschool.bc.ca/osbcme...Text_Part3.pdf

Our own goverment and corporations have not had the greatest track record in the past regarding the enviroment which affected hunting and fishing (Housing Development, overfishing, mining and Forestry to name a few.
    Hunters profess to know whats best because we're out there and value the resource. Why do we put down other allies we have against those who would ban hunting altogether? They had thousands of years of living with the land in a much less disruptive way than we do now.

I second listening to the podcast, i am not sure where i sit on it all but it was refreshing listening to someone talk as apposed to a dam press release.
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the the most intelligent , it is the one most adaptable to change"