Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first hunting accident

Hybrid View

My first hunting accident

So this story has good news and bad news and I just want to give some warnings to those that head out into the field.

Last weekend I went out hunting and packed into a alpine bowl to hunt mule deer. First morning in I was lucky and tagged out on a nice 4x4.
    [img] https://i.imgur.com/zx94c5h.jpg[/img]

While packing out my mule deer I rolled my ankle twice approximately 400 yards from the truck. Thankfully I was able to hobble my way back to the truck with my buck. I then drove home and went to the ER to find out I will be off work for approximately 6 weeks and was give a set of crutches cause I cant weight bear on my right foot now. My bother then packed in and retrieved my camp.

If this accident would have happened a few kilometres prior I would have had to use my inreach to get help. Yes this experience is bad but it could have been so much worse.

To those of you that are heading out into the bush , please have a back up plan. You never know what will happen and how far you will be back in the bush when it does.

Good luck and and stay safe!
    Last edited by luger; 09-15-2020 at 04:17 PM.
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My first hunting accident

Things happen fast and not always close to the truck. Sucks your grounded for 6 weeks but good thing you've got that many dinners LOL

Congrats on the deer!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Thanks,
    sorry I’m not sure why the picture stayed as a link and didn’t show up as a picture.
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

Congrats and I guess the time off can be spent planning the next one eh

Congrats on the deer, sorry about your injury!

Nice deer, bad luck!

Very scary. I was on a sheep hunt last month. Day 2 of the pack in, 8 km in, heavy duty bushwhacking I was side hilling and stepped in a 16 in hole covered with leaves with my bottom foot. When my foot hit bottom my ankle rolled and I heard a loud pop. I was able to hobble the final 2 km to our camp spot. Luckily I was able to stay within 200 yards of camp and glass a huge valley for the next 5 days. I managed to muscle my way through this hunt but it was the toughest thing I have ever had to deal with.
    Once home I went to the GP and hit physio hard. I tore the Calcaneo-fibular ligament and sprained my ankle. I likely did more damage on the way out than when I had the initial incident. The good news is we were packing a ram out!
    It happens fast, be careful out there and take your time.

Glad you are ok. Always pack a way to communicate and always let people know where you’re going. Make sure you check in daily too so that if you miss checking in someone knows something is wrong.

Good reminder. Great looking buck.
    Check my Youtube Channel for fishing and hunting videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjN...AEGjPIUba3pn9g

Just curious .Do your boots have good ankle support