Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first hunting accident

Re: My first hunting accident

Oh ya, I run top of the line skarpas.
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

Glad to hear it happened when it did - I’ve volunteered with SAR for several years and they don’t always go that way. It’s amazing how bad stuff can go bad - Sunday I found myself on the other side of the rescue...turns out a backcountry hike with a 19 month old is a really bad time to find out you’ve developed an allergy to nuts as an adult. 4 hours of swollen throat and purging everything I’d eaten (I’ll leave the details to you) I loaded into the helicopter as a subject.

Backcountry communication is key. Having excellent people with you who can make and execute a plan when things go sideways even more so.

Hope your ankle heals up soon

Hi All,

I saw this on sale at Cabelas. will this suffice, or do i need to spend all the way up to an In Reach mini? That is a lot of dough.

Spot X 2 way messenger: https://www.cabelas.ca/product/113491

I had another message fail to go out and the SPOT 3 on Sunday. It was a wide open view of the sky and no red indicator to show the message failed to send. I also sent one on Friday night at 10:30PM. The notification did not go out to emails/phones until 12:30AM.

I am glad I have not had to rely on that device in an emergency. The check-ins seem to work most of the time (95%) but if if actually had to send an SOS it would sure keep me guessing.

I will probably switch to a two way system like inReach or Spot X 2 way in the near future. Being able to send out a specific message and receive acknowledgement definitely seems like a good way to go!

I’ve got the older model delorme se. Its easy to use ( with or with out bluetoothing it to my phone) and works every time.
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

Thanks for the story Luger! I did my first solo hunt last weekend, and was definitely extra careful - but I didn't have a sat device and your story is the kick I needed to get one to stay safe.

Great looking buck! Sorry about your injury, I hope you "heel" well.

The very reason my wife is buying an inreach for me

Wasnt there a hunter near Vernon some years back that went missing and they finally found him and it had appeared he had broken his leg?
    Yup, things can go south quick.