Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rage no collar (NC) crossbow broad heads

Re: Rage no collar (NC) crossbow broad heads

I wouldn't go too far with that sentiment. Ironnoggin is clearly highly experienced and those results he is posting are probably in the top upper echelon of what is possible with a crossbow. the vast majority of guys are going to be shooting 50 yards or even much less, similar to a compound.

Also keep in mind a crossbow is far from the most comfortable, stealthy, or good on follow up shots in terms of a weapon to work with for spot and stalk hunting compared to almost any other weapon (at least in my opinion) so that also levels the playing field.

^+1

There's no second shot with a crossbow.

I just upgraded because unless I have a clear heart shot, I'm going home empty. A little more range makes a big difference when you can't move easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Arrow Re: Rage no collar (NC) crossbow broad heads

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    I’m sure this will be an unpopular comment but man, with shots like that at 85 it proves the crossbow game is not the same as even the compound game let alone the trad stuff. I’m a decent shot with my compound but there’s almost no way I could come close to that at 85.
    Put over 2 grand into the bow, more on custom arrows, more on custom strings, more on custom triggers, more on aftermarket scope...
    Then spent countless hours shooting, cherry picking the best and constantly refining that, shooting, and much MUCH more of the same.
    At this point, that particular bow has run through well over 4,000 shots in my hands.
    No way in hell anyone just picking one up is going to come even close to matching what I do with it.
    Reality.

I also have a handful of dedicated Buddies who shoot compound bows with me.
    Several of them can beat my accuracy out to 100 yards and beyond.
    Any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger.270 View Post
    I wouldn't go too far with that sentiment. Ironnoggin is clearly highly experienced and those results he is posting are probably in the top upper echelon of what is possible with a crossbow. the vast majority of guys are going to be shooting 50 yards or even much less, similar to a compound.

Also keep in mind a crossbow is far from the most comfortable, stealthy, or good on follow up shots in terms of a weapon to work with for spot and stalk hunting compared to almost any other weapon (at least in my opinion) so that also levels the playing field.
    Yep. Well said.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I'm shooting an Excalibur 440 Bulldog. After sighting in, the first time I shot at 70 yards I put an arrow in another. Other than costing me some money I thought it was pretty cool and a real fluke. Next two shots and I did the same thing. Ouch... Wasn't so funny that time. I shoot regularly out to 100 yards with a Tact 100 scope on mine and most shots I have similar results to Nog albeit maybe not that precise. I don't ever shoot at the same spot twice in a row now....its too expensive. They are very accurate and while I used to shoot a rifle lots I don't shoot as much any more but the Excalibur does make that first shot so much easier than a compound bow. Plus my shoulders are a bit gimpy so I can't shoot a compound bow anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Put over 2 grand into the bow, more on custom arrows, more on custom strings, more on custom triggers, more on aftermarket scope...
    Then spent countless hours shooting, cherry picking the best and constantly refining that, shooting, and much MUCH more of the same.
    At this point, that particular bow has run through well over 4,000 shots in my hands.
    No way in hell anyone just picking one up is going to come even close to matching what I do with it.
    Reality.

Any day of the week.

Yep. Well said.

Cheers,
    Nog
    Everybody is right.

I can outshoot most guys with my compound compared to a cross bow according to the comments on this thread.

They do sell crossbows that "claim" to be accurate out to a 100 out of the box though.

That's what I feel is unfair. There is no difference in someone putting the time in to extend there range but if all you have to do is spend the money then that equation changes.

Im not saying that doesn’t take effort. I upgraded to a new compound this year and am at at least $3000 after you ad in all the extras like arrows, release, sight, quiver, stabilizer set up etc.

Just like I’m sure you have spent.

I then go through a similar tuning process and weed out the arrows that don’t fly the best etc. And shoot as much as I can. I can shoot a group about the size of a twonie at 40 yards if I’m shooting good. There’s no way I can shoot like that at 85. Most guys won’t get your results but I’ve seen more than one guy at the range borrow a crossbow and spend a couple hours sighting it in and practicing and they can shoot just fine after an afternoon out to at least 50. It’s not the same game.

I apologize to the OP. If anyone wants to have a reasonable debate, say the word and I’d be happy to start a new thread without name calling.

Reality.

Any day of the week.

Yep. Well said.

Cheers,
    Nog

You still have to practice good technique though, no different than spending thousands on a high end rifle and scope combo, you’ll usually be able to shoot longer and more accurately if you spend thousands on a Sako with a Swarovski than if you spend 300 bucks on some junky savage combo from cabelas or whatever.

Arrow Re: Rage no collar (NC) crossbow broad heads

... It’s not the same game.
    Guess you missed this part:

Any day of the week.
    Accuracy from either a vertical bow or a horizontal one takes practice.
    And while more is needed in the vertical case, they are both largely subject to the same limitations.
    And from what I have seen, one can be equally as accurate with either given the right amount of effort to do so.

Finally, we're kind of talking apples and oranges here anyway.
    While my bow is accurate to 100 yards, we are discussing Target Shooting here.
    NOT Hunting Ranges which are much shorter given the constraints of hunting with an arrow.

Cheers,
    Nog

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I didn’t miss it, I just don’t buy it. If your buddies are that good they should be out there beating guys like Levi Morgan.
    I can agree to disagree in some cases and this is one of them. If you were running iron sights then the gap is definitely a bit closer but with a scope I don’t think it is.

Thumbs down Re: Rage no collar (NC) crossbow broad heads

I didn’t miss it, I just don’t buy it. If your buddies are that good they should be out there beating guys like Levi Morgan.
    They are that good.
    And I rather resent your insinuation that I would lie over such an insignificant matter.

Nog

Guess he got to Know me