Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rage no collar (NC) crossbow broad heads

Re: Rage no collar (NC) crossbow broad heads

Hey IronNoggin - any intel on where a guy can find those spitfire heads you are running? I'd be interested in picking up a pack to compare accuracy to what I'm trying now. Google didn't turn up a heck of a lot for me locally. I'd rather buy from the Island instead of ordering off Amazon if possible (I'm in Nanaimo).

Any thoughts from your experience as to 100 vs 125 vs 150 grain heads when running the micro bows, noting the 16.5 inch bolt length?

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    They are that good.
    And I rather resent your insinuation that I would lie over such an insignificant matter.

Nog
    Well I don’t know you other than what you post on here and you seem like a nice guy so I’m not looking to piss you off. I just have a different opinion than you.

If your buddies are that good I would love to get coached by them. If they can outshoot a crossbow with a compound out to 100 yards and beyond, it would be an honour to learn from them. I’m not saying that tongue in cheek, if they want to coach someone and are that good send me a PM.

This argument is pointless. Who cares if Nog can shoot groups at 80 or 100 yards? That to me means a much more ethical hunter and shooter. Much better that the "hunter" who shoots once a year at 20 then thinks that with the scope they can shoot ethically out to 50+. This argument is really no different than the hunters who who shoot at 100 and the hunters who shoot at 1000. Rangefinders/scopes/cartridges' can make a person shoot longer distances, but you still need to practice/practice/practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger.270 View Post
    Hey IronNoggin - any intel on where a guy can find those spitfire heads you are running? I'd be interested in picking up a pack to compare accuracy to what I'm trying now. Google didn't turn up a heck of a lot for me locally. I'd rather buy from the Island instead of ordering off Amazon if possible (I'm in Nanaimo).

Any thoughts from your experience as to 100 vs 125 vs 150 grain heads when running the micro bows, noting the 16.5 inch bolt length?
    Ruger, I shoot the 125 Spits out of my 350SE Matrix based on Nogs experiences and have had great luck with them. But since they are now made offshore and have a less than stellar reputation with hunters, I would look at another head. I managed to find three sets of heads and 5 packages of extra blades all made in the USA and since I only shoot one animal a year, I think I am set up for a while. Go to the Excal forum and there is tons of discussion on what heads are good and what are not so good.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Good to know, thanks Sitka. I have checked out that other forum. Tough thing is so many different heads being recommended it’s a bit hard to pick one out of the blue. I’m going to try another session with my crossbow this weekend and hopefully won’t wreck any more arrows

Arrow Re: Rage no collar (NC) crossbow broad heads

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger.270 View Post
    Hey IronNoggin - any intel on where a guy can find those spitfire heads you are running? I'd be interested in picking up a pack to compare accuracy to what I'm trying now.
    As Sitka noted, NAP moved their production offshore. They are quite inferior to those that were once produced in the US. I tried these offshore ones - first shot and the damn thing opened prematurely. Sent them back with a Never Again note to NAP.
    I have around 15 or so on hand, and a few of the replacement kits that were all made in the US. When those run out, I too will be looking.

Never shot one. Best bet would be to inquire on the Excalibur Forum: https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/

KBC:
    Although one of the Ladz used to teach, neither he nor any of the others do so these days.

Sitka: Wise words as usual my friend. Appreciated. Have a safe & successful season up there!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    As Sitka noted, NAP moved their production offshore. They are quite inferior to those that were once produced in the US. I tried these offshore ones - first shot and the damn thing opened prematurely. Sent them back with a Never Again note to NAP.
    I have around 15 or so on hand, and a few of the replacement kits that were all made in the US. When those run out, I too will be looking.

Never shot one. Best bet would be to inquire on the Excalibur Forum: https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/

KBC:
    Although one of the Ladz used to teach, neither he nor any of the others do so these days.

Sitka: Wise words as usual my friend. Appreciated. Have a safe & successful season up there!

Cheers,
    Nog
    Thanks IronNoggin.

Might be applicable.

The. “Lethal Podcast” just released a podcast about building more effective cross bow bolts.
    might be worth a listen?

So tried it again this weekend and very annoyed. Sighted in with the new arrows and field points. 1 inch 5 shot group at 40 yards. Switch to the broad heads and bang on at 20 and 30, then all over the map in about a 6 inch group but consistently low at 40 yards.

unless the broad heads advertised as 100 grains weigh more than the field points I don’t know what to think.

has anyone heard much for reviews on the new Excalibur trailblazer heads? They sound interesting but very few reviews out there. 100 or 150 grain mechanical. Supposedly can stand up to crossbow speeds without banding or premature opening.

Update to this saga - I picked up a pack of the Excalibur trailblazer heads in 150 grain - they are consistently within an inch of my field points out to 40 yards. Unfortunately the one I had designated as my practice head broke after a half dozen shots so I didn't test them out further yet, although as a new crossbow hunter I probably wouldn't take a shot much further than that anyways. Very pleased with the accuracy results, hopefully that was just a lemon as far as durability goes. These things certainly look heavy duty and have a wide cutting diameter with 3 blades. Some Facebook photos I found show some pretty huge exit holes and large/short blood trails.