Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tanning bear hide at home

Re: Tanning bear hide at home

i think you should video for us. would like to see you boil brains in a condo. i have boiled skulls but never inside.

Keep in mind bears are super greasy.
    You’ll have to work hard to get all the grease and oils out of the hide.
    Dish soap might not be strong enough on a fall bear.

You should stuff the bear instead of making a rug...put a funnel in his butt and pour see plaster down it and same with the mouth but have it in the position you want to turning out to look like, I prefer standing them up on two feet with their mouth wide open and ears folded back.

Don't drink bear blood. They are wild animals with many parasites that can be transferred. You also don't know if they have any viruses like rabies. Treat bear meat like you would pig meat. Cooked well and can never be too careful.

Thanks for the tips WWBC, I assume if I run into degreasing problems with dish soap, then laundry detergent may be the way to go?

and for the record, yes everyone I was not serious about drinking bear blood. But the home tanning - very real.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMango View Post
    Thanks for the tips WWBC, I assume if I run into degreasing problems with dish soap, then laundry detergent may be the way to go?

and for the record, yes everyone I was not serious about drinking bear blood. But the home tanning - very real.
    Good on ya. I’ve done rabbits in the house, but nothing more than that. Of course they were small, in ice cream pales and easily fleshed. You could run into some stink with a bear...maybe not if you flesh it well before bringing it in, and keep on top of it....as far as leaving it on your balcony....I’m not one to hide the fact that I hunt and then use what I take, so again....good on ya.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

I am still working on the bear I got this Spring. Decided to save some money and do the tanning myself. I own my own place in the country and could not imagine doing a bear hide in an apartment. To me it would be a sure fire way to get evicted. There is a reason why most hunters only skin and freeze the bear hide and take it to taxidermist for them to finish the tanning of the hide. However, if an individual is inclined to go the do it yourself way, get the Trubond tanning supplies. There is an outfit in Alberta called Coyote trapping supplies that can help you out with placing an order for these items.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    What are you smoking? Drink bear blood.

My last 5 bears, the hide fed the ravens from the 4 inches of fat on the hides. Then the wolves came along and ate the hides. All of it.
    Can't believe you don't take the fat! Great for cooking, even better for leather.

Aside from that, skinning them nicely isn't that hard, but it will be greasy as f*#@! Careful around eyes, ears, lips, and paws.

Great rug by the bed.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Yes typo my bad lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    Can't believe you don't take the fat! Great for cooking, even better for leather.

Aside from that, skinning them nicely isn't that hard, but it will be greasy as f*#@! Careful around eyes, ears, lips, and paws.

Great rug by the bed.
    Yes, render the fat down and use it for many things....good for leather, but it makes the best pastry. My wife uses bear lard for pie crusts and it is incredible. First nations use it for arthritis, rubbing it into affected joints.

An early fall bear hide is a tough item to tan as it is a long ways from prime. When fleshing it most people damage the hair follicles at the base and a lot of the guard hairs fall out. You pricked the worst time of year to tan a bear hide and to do it at home. As mentioned, I think it is a good way to get your butt punted out of your apartment block unless you have some other place where you can do all the dirty work with fleshing and stretching, etc etc etc.

If you go ahead with it...good luck and I hope it turns out for you. Good practice run anyways and then maybe you will learn a lot and be ready for doing another bear hide on a bear killed in early spring or late fall.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.