Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In reach??? which model?

Re: In reach??? which model?

I'm a senior too, use my EXPLORER+ all the time for fishing, hiking, scouting, hunting etc. The software engineers should get out in the field more often and it shows. The simple inputs aren't intuitive, I don't use some features but "waypoints" gets me right to the game cams. I can't wait for EXPLORER2.1+.

Quote Originally Posted by 264mag View Post
    Do you have the backroads chip in it? If so how do you like the functionality with it?
    Yes I do. It works incredibly well. I haven’t had it for a long time but so far I have no complaints. It’s worth the price.

I just finished my first season with the mini. Loved it. I don't use a GPS very often but when I do I use my stand alone. If you use a GPS quite a bit it would be better to go with another model.

Regardless of which unit you choose, read the user manual and that in itself will alleviate most issues.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-16-2020 at 06:23 AM.

I have an In reach mini, it took a few days of playing with it at home on its own and using it with my iPhone but I like it, its super small, I clip it to my belt when I’m out on my own, connects in way more places then my spot ever did

Mini, gets a full day of hunting with 10min tracking on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I just finished my first season with the mini. Loved it. I don't use a GPS very often but when I do I use my stand alone. If you use a GPS quite a bit it would be better to go with another model.

Regardless of which unit you choose, read the user manual and that in itself will alleviate most issues.

In most businesses your advise boils down to RTFM !

Two of the guys in camp had the mini this year and seemed to be fussing with it a lot... something about getting it to send messages to one another's units I think. They both said after learning how and getting everything set up it was great. They are VERY small and I like that for sure. I always carry my cell phone anyway for the camera so the mini seems like the way to go. Might be a Christmas present for my wife!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

I went with the Mini as I already have my old tried and true Garmin Rino for GPS. I use the Mini 99% for safety reasons, I don't have the patience for texting at the best of times but, the capability is there. The pre set messages are all I use to let the family know its all good. The Earthmate mapping is a great app to use with the Mini and your cellphone if you so choose. While some think the Mini is overpriced, its pretty cheap insurance in my opinion...

Older DeLorme SE and smartphone linked by the Garmin Connect. Set up some presets like deer/moose/elk down, going to be late, everything OK or on the way home and you don't need to type much of anything. Add in everyone's cell numbers (if hunting in the transition zone of coverage and no coverage due to terrain etc.) and when you get something down that needs strong backs and week minds, send a preset and wait as they get the message and the location.

Much better than my old SPOT, which in it's defense, worked every time I needed it.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

my 66i with backroads maps and satellite imagery is unreal awesome. Great battery life too, on expedition mode I will get about 60 hours of use before its around 25% battery remaining. Easy to charge via micro USB in the truck or via Dark Energy Poseidon charger
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    my 66i with backroads maps and satellite imagery is unreal awesome. Great battery life too, on expedition mode I will get about 60 hours of use before its around 25% battery remaining. Easy to charge via micro USB in the truck or via Dark Energy Poseidon charger

I didn’t know about this expedition mode. Thanks!