Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In reach??? which model?

In reach??? which model?

Old guy asking,so be patient.I see these seem considered a good safety option. Which In Reach??? Garmin 010-01735 or inReach Mini or??? Maybe should just spend a bit more and buy a SatPhone???

Thanks!
    Last edited by bearheart; 09-14-2020 at 04:40 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: In reach??? which model?

If you're not terribly tech savy, the Garmin inReach SE (yellow model) is the easiest to use of the Garmin models, not needing to be paired to a smartphone like the Mini (to type messages at least) - https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/561286

Check out the Zoleo model too, it is less $ than Garmin. It will be paired to a smart phone https://www.zoleo.com/en-ca/satellite-communicator/
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I really like my mini paired with my phone. Just put the phone on airplane mode, turn on Bluetooth only when you need it, and you can get a couple days out of the phone before charging. I think the mini would last about 4 days if left on all the time. Zoleo looks interesting too, but cheapest plan looks like $25/month vs $15 for the garmin.

I went with the Explorer+ when it was on sale at Cabelas for $479. I don't want to be tied to a stupid cell phone while in the bush - in the truck fine, but I have enough crap to pack with me.

I'm also an old guy and after a bunch of harping about hiking and hunting alone and me not doing anything about it, the family bought me a 66i. I did not want to pack a phone and have been happy with a compass for over 45 years. This unit is capable of lots more than I'm using it for and hasn't always been an easy learning experience however the key for me is playing with it. I take it every time I head out and am figuring it out. Would just as soon not have it but at least they will find the body with out a massive search.

I vote for Mini or full size delorme (pre-garmin) or new garmin Inreaches. Most people even my mom has a smart phone now
    It is similiar process to pair a bluetooth headset. Instructions are pretty good regarding how to pair between phone and Inreaches. Then you can text and use the Earthmate as a secondary navigation tool if you have an explorer model or one with a compass. Cheaper than a Sat Phone and I am guessing most of your partners won't have a Sat Phone either while in the field. Keep in mind, its much easier to use the smart phone to type, otherwise its tying like with the old flip phones, one letter at a time. Its okay for a short message home to say you are okay for the evening.

I have the mini. Do NOT get the mini if you are not tech savvy. It will piss you off.

I had the garmin explorer + and now the 66i. They are both great units.

I have an Inreach paired to my cell phone. works fantastic. Cheap peace of mind.
    Well worth having IMO

If you want gps capabilities as well, you can’t beat the 66i.