Thread: Stand placement

Stand placement

Hey,

Currently, I have a run-and-gun setup that I am just beggining to use for white-tailed deer. I have found a well traversed trail that leads from a timbered bench (where I believe the animals are bedding), down 40m elevation to an open cutblock with various micro-topography features (rocky knolls). I want to setup near the trail, just inside the tree line, and against the hillside leading to the bench. My stand would be about 150m horizontal distance from the beds, and 40 m lower. Am I getting to close here? I'm worried my scent will drift on up to them... Any suggestions? Any of your stand placement advice welcome. Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Stand placement

150m sounds pretty close to their bedding area imo, they are going to hear you yes..no?.
    I try to not disturb them in their bedding area, they seem to become invisible or just leave the area when disturbed in their sanctuary. 150m from their trail seems good to me...I would try to be further away from their bedding area..downwind somewhere watching the trail you figure on.
    Sounds exciting, let us know how you do.

I don't think they will hear me, more smell me. I discovered the bed whilst walking up to the bench a few weeks ago. It was only when I got to the lip of the bench that they got spooked, so I think that there is enough slope between stand and bed to act as a sound barrier- I'll just watch for those drafts. Worth mentioning that those spooked critters made alot of racket, which I have been told is less characteristic of deer, but more of elk, whom I'm also after. Will post if successful!

you are not listening to the answer to your question!
    You over ride what the respondent said, you seem to have such a strong opinion, why bother asking?
    wake up and smell the coffee kid!