Thread: Pre-rut blacktail rattling?

Pre-rut blacktail rattling?

What do you think is the best time in October to rattle for blacktails?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Pre-rut blacktail rattling?

Oct 1 to Oct 31.

Not an expert here but pre rut and rut would be logical. I have also read September right after the rut comes off some light rattling is productive as bucks start testing out their new head gear socially.

I've never had any success rattling, but this year I plan kn actually hunting where the deer are if we are able to free up enough room in the freezers for another deer

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I plan on actually hunting where the deer are if we are able to free up enough room in the freezers for another deer
    I have room in mine...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Got this off the 'net.

October 1-15
    Low volume, light sparring. One 15-30 second session twice per hour or per location if you are on the move.

October 15-25
    Medium volume. More intense sparring, sessions may last 45-90 seconds on 20 minute intervals.

October 25 – November 20
    Medium to high volume. Ramp your sequences up to intense sparring and shoving, thrashing brush, breaking sticks. My sequences build over time to simulate two bucks who aren’t willing to back down. The first session will be short, maybe 15 seconds. I want to reach deer within earshot that might be close. I wait 20 minutes and start again for about 30 seconds followed by a 20-minute wait. Repeat with sessions lasting up to a minute. After three sessions, I wait about 45-60 minutes then repeat or move to a new area.

In practice, this is difficult but remember, you just created a ruckus so you need to see it through with patience of a predator.
    November 20 – December 31
    Medium volume. Ramp from medium to intense sparring, sessions may last 45-90 seconds on 20-minute intervals. Wait 45-60 minutes before moving locations.

I have had crappy results rattling for blacktails in all of October. I still try at least a couple of times every year though.

October 15-25th usually when I call most as I find it most effective. Both rattling and bleats and grunts. I stay on the move all day, but post in place for about 20 minutes after and calling. The bucks are getting all ramped up for rut and the does are not yet receptive. So the bucks are cruising. They are ready to blow off steam in a fight or take their chances on a doe that sounds into it. It's worked well for me on the bow.
    Get out of the Truck, Off of the trail, and Onto the tracks...