Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice/suggestions for Jet Boat trip

Jet Boat trip- Looking for advice/suggestions

Hi All,
    i am getting close to departure time for a jet boat trip with Jason from Riverjet. Just myself and a longtime friend/hunting partner. We are pretty well equipped and have done a number of alpine mule deer hunts, and managed just fine. We are planning on trekking around a bit and taking advantage of the higher weight capacity to have a nice base camp. I'm expecting cold and wet weather. I have a fair amount of hunting experience but have not been able to dedicate the time i normally would have to research, etc. this year because of circumstances.

So that said, any advice for a first timer jet boat trip? All advice is appreciated but i have lived out of a pack on multi day trips many times, and done a couple fly in trips. I might be a little rusty, but I'm hoping i have the basics covered.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Muledeercrazy2; 09-13-2020 at 05:31 PM. Reason: title change

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Looking for advice/suggestions for Jet Boat trip

Guys have suggested spin casting rods, so i was going to bring one with some spinners. Any point in a .22?

You will see grouse around basecamp, bring the 22.

Quote Originally Posted by corywilson13 View Post
    You will see grouse around basecamp, bring the 22.
    Great, thank you

How is it for bears, how careful do you need to be with food?

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Did you post the area you are going I do not see it ? I assume there are bear everywhere so be prepared. 22 for birds is always a plus
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Hang all your food.. lots of bears

Quote Originally Posted by locdog_99 View Post
    Hang all your food.. lots of bears
    Thanks! Silly question but do guys ever hoist a small cooler up? We are leaving Saturday, and looking at the weather in Fort Nelson in might not average close enough to zero to keep some luxuries like milk for coffee and a bit of cheese, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneerman View Post
    Did you post the area you are going I do not see it ? I assume there are bear everywhere so be prepared. 22 for birds is always a plus
    I think Riverjet only transports hunters on the tuchodi/muskwa rivers in northern BC so looking for advice from guys that got dropped of/picked up in that area by Kevin or the new owner Jason. I think it was Guy before that, but that would be a few years ago.

This time of year things like cream for coffee or cheese will stay pretty cool for a week even without a cooler but we usually bring a cooler (fly in, but same diff) with some frozen bacon etc. Our motto is “it’s not a survival trip...”.

You will probably find a meat pole up there as most camps are heavily used but be prepared to make one. They need to be very high and make sure you keep the lines holding the quarters out of reach of the bears too. Some people put the quarter up high and the rope tied to the tree around breast height....which those bears have figured out. I’d bring enough spikes to make a very tall ladder first (ie 14 foot ladder for 12 foot meat pole) plus some big spikes and ropes for the meat pole itself. Some people bring a set of pulleys to hoist quarters but two strong fellows can manage without.

Have fun!