Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Plan for Mechanical Breakdowns in the Bush - What is yours?

Re: Emergency Plan for Mechanical Breakdowns in the Bush - What is yours?

Mini compressor and plug kit. Could have used one last weekend after getting screw in tire. Had to drive back to town with tire hissing.

Prep before hand with basic essentials, IE tire repair kit, spare, jack, rope, shovel, chainsaw and tool kit. If all this fail to rectify the situation, hiking boots and a short barrel 12g for the hike out. Always have a first aid and survival kit with as well.

My truck holds the following when in the bush:

Spare tire
    High lift
    Tools, from a multimeter to a 1/2" breaker bar, to vicegrips and tie wire
    Chainsaw, gas, bar oil, files
    Axe
    Shovel
    Viair compressor, plugkit, tire patches, rubber cement
    Tarp, line, water, pocket stove, freeze dried meal
    Spare fluids-gas, oil, coolant, brake fluid, ATF
    Winch, straps, snatch block, shackles.

Most importantly, me, with a knowledge and experience using all of the preceeding items.

Now, I have also fixed a blown coolant line with a nickle for a screwdriver, and refilled a rad with creek water using an empty beer can found on the side of the road. I had foolishly assumed that other people would be as prepared as I.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Got a vehicle - there's your shelter
    Need a way to start a fire
    Then just need some water

However my most recent situation was just this weekend. I had a rear brake piston break on me. Well grenade actually. Tire iron, a rock and twigs as chopsticks to unlock everything and clear the carnage to get to town. Could have been a bigger issue. Luckily keeping calm and assessing the task at hand, I was back headed home within an hour.

Had a flat this weekend in the bush but good thing my buddy had a tire repair kit with plugs and a compressor.

This past weekend, got back to truck after 3 days and vehicle didn’t start. Had wife on inreach talking to bcaa who couldn’t find my fsr. Managed to get vehicle started, hobbled 60km back to a town, 180km tow and $350 taxi ride to get back home on my 3 week old bcaa membership. Still trying to process the trip and what I learned...

A tire plug kit, a bottle of Slime and a cigarette lighter compressor. All cheap and easy things to take along. A second spare in a perfect world.

I always park my manual transmission rig pointed down hill when I leave it in the bush...I can always "roll start it" if needed when I get back. A simple trick I learned when I was young and couldn't afford a new starter for my truck for a while

Just wait till someone shows up, good excuse for the wife to stay in the bush longer

I have a $40,000 camper on my truck, so I don’t get too crazy with off-road driving, but it does go along way from pavement. I just save the gnarly trails for my 4Runner if I tow it to a base area. I keep cables, fluids, tools, compressor, recovery gear and a fridge full of food and cold beer. Some of my spots are a 4 low crawl into, but not for any great distance. Leaving the house with a solid vehicle to start with is the best plan. I recently went from a new Ram 3500 Cummins to a 2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins. The $40,000 I got back from selling the new truck paid for a ton of new parts in the ‘05. It’s now as reliable as the new one was with only 25% of the money tied up.

I have had to fix fairly big holes in tires with multiple plugs, and last year I jumped in my apprentices Tacoma and left the truck and camper in base camp for a snowy day of whitetail hunting. We spent a lot of time getting his truck out of the bush after his fuel pump died. We managed to coast it down from the top of the mountain to the KVR and then walked 8 km with big packs and extra guns back to my truck. His truck stayed out overnight with an ATM in the back. (Doesn’t everyone go hunting with an ATM strapped in the box of their truck?). The next morning we managed to get his truck going and drove it out.

*Tip for those who have an in-tank fuel pump die on you... bang on the top of the gas tank where the pump bolts in (if you can get to it, we used his jack crank). Sometimes if you give it a bang or two it will start to pump again. He made it from Rock Creek to Kawkawa Lake before it died again, and then BCAA got him to his folks place in Mission.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.