Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Emergency Plan for Mechanical Breakdowns in the Bush - What is yours?

Re: Emergency Plan for Mechanical Breakdowns in the Bush - What is yours?

Didn't see it so sorry if someone mentioned already but along with all the other stuff listed which I carry most of, I also always carrying a spare fan belt.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

I had a friend who broke down just south of the Yukon border. He was at camp and his truck battery was dead. He had to ride his ATV to find other hunters. He helped them pack their moose out and gave him a jump. They managed to drive until the next gas station, where the battery died again. The alternator was not working. Luckily they got another boost and made it back to fort nelson and got it fixed.

It depends on what kind of mechanical breakdown you're talking about. Where I hunt, there are lots of gas wells that send out cellular reports, so it's rare to find no bars on my phone. I set maximum distances between myself, my atv and my truck. 5kms from my atv max, incase I twist an ankle and have to crawl back. 20Kms from atv to truck max, just in case my atv breaks down. If my truck breaks down, I'll just ride my atv to a the nearest highway or until I find another hunter willing to help.

I also have lots of tire plugs, a spare tire, tire inflator, cans of sardines in my day pack that I don't touch just in case I get stranded, and a first aid kit.

Does anyone have any experience with the services of BCCA in off road or FSR situations?

Well...i am 62 years old and i always hunt alone. Since I have a wife and child, i bring the following with me. A Spot GPS, a coffee can with tea candles in it (in case i must sleep in the car in sub-zero temperature), some food, warm clothes, sleeping bag and pillow, bottle jack and shovel, towing straps, light sticks. (oh, and i forgot...booze)

2018 on a shared Moose LEH well south of Vanderhoof we had a few unexpected issues prompting long unplanned trips back to civilization. A group of 3 we had sufficient vehicular inventory to get us out of kaka. You just never know. In no particular order, wheel bearing on quad, belt on quad (doh, really should have had a spare), some sort of switch problem on quad, driveshaft on truck. The driveshaft was the biggie. Hunting buddy had departed up FSR one evening to contact significant other after I had found cell coverage at about Km 13. Dark by the time he headed back. As he was making u-turn the rear driveshaft dropped at the diff. He had a VHF but was out of range so we had no clue. I was on supper duty & was telling buddy #2 if he doesn't show soon, it's chow down time. About the time we considered going out after him, a faint crackle, broken tx comes on the VHF. ...driveshaft.....back..... hour..... So we continued to wait & the radio tx became stronger so knew he was on his way. He had strapped the driveshaft up to keep off ground & drove back with front drive on the 4x4. Took a long time since he stopped every 100 yards or so to ensure the driveshaft wasn't going to hit the dirt since it was spinning, driven by the xfer case. Long trip back to the 'hoof in my Taco with his driveshaft & were lucky to find a shop with parts to fix. Later in the week his battery in the truck croaked....

Quote Originally Posted by carnivore View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the services of BCCA in off road or FSR situations?

BCAA free tows only count on pavement. Drivers go up logging roads but it’s at their discretion, and on your dime. Also not allowed in cabs right now, so you got to walk out until you can get a taxi to pick you up... maybe the operator will feel bad for you or you can try and to bribe them at least until there is pavement. On my taxi ride home last weekend, the cabbie said the tow truck driver charged $450 to pull a wrangler out of a mud puddle he got stuck in down a fsr. They try their best to locate you, in my instance my wife and the call centre couldn’t find my fsr even though they had my gps coordinates. They instructed my wife that the tow truck would be in contact with her when they were back in the service area to see if they could locate me.
    Last edited by Joegle; 09-18-2020 at 10:26 PM.

I didn't see it mentioned, a jump start battery pack. I haven't had to use mine for myself but have jumped 2 other trucks with mine.