Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Plan for Mechanical Breakdowns in the Bush - What is yours?

Emergency Plan for Mechanical Breakdowns in the Bush - What is yours?

This question applies especially to solo hunters, or solo vehicles. I was wondering what plans, options, or stories people have when their vehicle breaks down, gets stuck etc. deep in the bush.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Emergency Plan for Mechanical Breakdowns in the Bush - What is yours?

Hi Moosey,
    Sorry no good stories here, but for me it's just being prepared:
    - Spare tire (obviously!). But also always make sure there's air in it. And do a change every couple years. lugs can get seized, etc, so it's good to know all the equipment works.
    - Extra gas. I always go in the bush with spare gas in case.
    - Prepare for over night. Always assume you won't come home that day. blankets, food, water...basics. The extra gas also helps if you have to run the truck for heat.
    - InReach ... best investment for emergencies, so if you're out of cell range, you can still communicate with home.
    - I haven't personally done this yet, but would like to. Get your radio license and have one in the vehicle. Might be able to reach other people nearby on parallel FSRs or something.
    That's about it... hope that helps a bit

I tell my wife where approximately I'm going and when approximately I'll be back, if I don't return she gets ahold of ppl....I also have a SPOT that I can sent 'assistance needed but not a medical emergency ' messages...

InReach #1, a good mechanic so you don't breakdown and a good driver so you don't get stuck.

The further into the outback I go, the less I'm inclined to take risks. Walk the obstacle before you drive it, how deep is it REALLY, can I turn around or do I have to back all the way up?

Hunting partner is good mechanic, good walking boots, overnight kit. Bottle of Scotch bribery for tow job.

I had this problem last weekend. Went to chase a bear left my lights on with my wife and kids by the vehicle. When she went to start it I had killed the battery. Got lucky and found someone to give us a jump.(I didn’t even have cables)
    So needless to say I went home ordered an emergency kit with cables. A noco battery booster. A tire repair kit. And a compressor. I now have the basics covered. I always bring along a tool set just in case. Luckily I still had service but help would have been a couple hours out at best. Always go prepared even if it’s just a quick hunt.

+1 For the inReach. I don't care how mechanically inclined you my be, sometimes you just need parts.

I often try to leave the wife with a general area, but plans change. And I don't mind spending the night, but she is not OK waiting for me not knowing the circumstance.

Don’t buy a ford I bring spare parts. The number one thing you need is a pair of linesmen pliers and a new roll or tie wire. It’s gotten me out of the bush a few times. Once a wash out took our road out. I had no choice to drop in and winch out !!! and I snapped my rear track bar off Haha I just backed up a hill lined the rear axel up and lots of wire. I made it back home from Lytton . After some more hunting. Great stories on that trip !!!!! Anyways. Tie wire keep it in your rig

X 2 and stay off the booze when your driving!

Ya tie wire your Dodge and Chevy, BUY A FORD! LOL, its all good men, always be prepared,