Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kuiu guide dcs or first lite catalyst softshell jacket?

Kuiu guide dcs or first lite catalyst softshell jacket?

Anyone have any experience with either of these? Breathability and durability are key factors, but also needs to be quiet and functional. The first Lite is a bit lighter but doesn’t have pits zips. What about fit? I’m 5’10” and 160lbs, but want to be able to layer underneath, thinking of getting large in either option, any feedback on sizing?
    thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Kuiu guide dcs or first lite catalyst softshell jacket?

I’m 6’1 185 lbs and wear a large in the guide, I can layer mid layers
    under it but wouldn’t fit anything like a puffy . I had a catalyst for a bit before it started to fall apart at the seams Wasn’t impressed to returned it. The slightest breeze blew through that thing too. Like a cotton sweat shirt would Be more wind resistant. The guide isn’t wind proof either but it does a pretty good job.

I’ll second SR80, the guide is a pretty decent jacket.

Kuiu’s quality and customer service are much better than first lite.

I have a Guide as a daily wear around town jacket. Im 5'10 190 and wear an XL. I am a shell and layer hunter tho.
    I have a Yukon that goes hunting. If i dont need rain protection i wear wool and fleece up top.

Two problems with the Guide.. it isnt water proof and wind goes through it. If either of these things are not a problem it is a great jacket.

I’l second going with a shell jacket. I was debating this earlier this year, and ended up getting a really good deal on a Yukon jacket. I keep it in the pack, and wear a wool or fleece, heavy enough for the temp. The Yukon jacket fits over nicely when I need it for wind or rain or abit if extra warmth. I also scored a rab puffy super cheap. So I should be good for the season. My Yukon is a xl. I’m about 5’10 and maybe 190-200lbs. It fits good with layers. Or without

Yeah, I have a shell that’s waterproof and wind proof that I put on when necessary. But I find a soft shell is a great option most of the time; way quieter and more comfortable than a shell and it sheds snow well and can handle a bit of rain. I find the wool or fleece gets soaked instantly, while a good softshell insulates and gives way more protection from wind/rain than a fleece or wool, and if the weather gets really bad you pull out the shell... I find for things like skiing and mountaineering, when your really getting “in” the snow I don’t use a softshell, but for hunting, which is mostly hiking and glassing for me, I like to have a softshell as my main outer layer with a light insulation layer underneath, and a shell in the pack if there’s any chance of precip. I always ways pack a puffy if it’s cold out too, just incase. It’s personal preference, more than one way to stay warm and comfortable out there.
    So for me the softshell doesn’t replace the shell, rather it’s a part of what replaces the fleece/wool layer.

Then its a great Jacket.
    I really like mine. The fit is "Athletic"... for sure.
    So if you dont have an "Athletic" body order size up..
    Read.. if you normally wear large, but are like me amd love beer.. order an XL.

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Two problems with the Guide.. it isnt water proof and wind goes through it. If either of these things are not a problem it is a great
    jacket.
    Wow would that even qualify as a "Jacket" or a $321.00 overgarment, what are we paying for here? Camo pattern, Branding?

Thanks for the great info here, I was going to query Santa for the Catalyst but may be altering the list already
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Because i like it and the OP asked for an opinion.
    Guess i make more money than you