Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kuiu guide dcs or first lite catalyst softshell jacket?

Re: Kuiu guide dcs or first lite catalyst softshell jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by Linksman313 View Post
    Wow would that even qualify as a "Jacket" or a $321.00 overgarment, what are we paying for here? Camo pattern, Branding?

Thanks for the great info here, I was going to query Santa for the Catalyst but may be altering the list already
    Going to have to disagree with 835. The guide jacket was never labeled as a waterproof jacket, water resistant more like it. I find mine to be both fairly decent at both. Never been wet in mine. Blocks wind. But that might come down proper care and washing, who knows. I can say without hesitation it’s the best jacket I’ve had in the last 15 years and is my go to. I think people expect things to be more than they are, the guide jacket is not rain gear. People can’t expect it to perform as such.

Quote Originally Posted by khoffnbud View Post
    Going to have to disagree with 835. The guide jacket was never labeled as a waterproof jacket, water resistant more like it. I find mine to be both fairly decent at both. Never been wet in mine. Blocks wind. But that might come down proper care and washing, who knows. I can say without hesitation it’s the best jacket I’ve had in the last 15 years and is my go to. I think people expect things to be more than they are, the guide jacket is not rain gear. People can’t expect it to perform as such.
    I know it wasnt marketed as water proof. But i also live on the coast in a super wet climate. Maybe you are in a dryer area? I do wash it all the time. I just wanted to make sure the OP knew it wasnt water proof.. that said it does keep you dry in light rain..

All said i totally aggree with you, i really like my Guide jacket. I just wear my Yukon when its really wet

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    I know it wasnt marketed as water proof. But i also live on the coast in a super wet climate. Maybe you are in a dryer area? I do wash it all the time. I just wanted to make sure the OP knew it wasnt water proof.. that said it does keep you dry in light rain..

All said i totally aggree with you, i really like my Guide jacket. I just wear my Yukon when its really wet
    I don’t think Kamloops gets the wet like the coast does lol. When it’s raining out or I gotta bust wet brush, it’s base layers and rain gear!

If it’s completely windproof/waterproof it won’t breath well at all-my 3 ply gortex is wind/waterproof, but it doesn’t breath well under heavy exertion despite the marketing. Sounds like the first lite may breath better, but not as windproof. Still undecided between the two, need to see them in person. Having a jacket that’s silent, insulates a bit, provides some wind protection-yet breaths and can handle a bit of rain isn’t really a useless overgarmet to me... thanks for all the info, good to know this before pulling the trigger.
    Last edited by Lone Tree; 09-15-2020 at 12:15 PM.

I like my KUIU AXIS jacket and TALUS pants. They shed water well and breathe very well. If it's pouring I wear a stanfield and a helly hansen stretchy rubber suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Tree View Post
    Anyone have any experience with either of these? Breathability and durability are key factors, but also needs to be quiet and functional. The first Lite is a bit lighter but doesn’t have pits zips. What about fit? I’m 5’10” and 160lbs, but want to be able to layer underneath, thinking of getting large in either option, any feedback on sizing?
    thanks!
    I have the First Lite Catalyst and love it. I think you should get the large size and the two chest pockets can be opened for venting as they are mesh on the side. I found mine to be slightly over sized and easily fits my grid fleece underneath and It's plenty warm and quiet.

Thanks Gimps, I did end up getting the catalyst and it is a great softshell! Love it so far.