Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When do livestock vacate crown land?

Re: When do livestock vacate crown land?

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Correct. Must have permission to hunt while occupied.
    A grazing lease is issued under the Land Act and gives the lease holder near private property rights to the land. You need permission from the lease holder to enter onto their lease or face trespassing charges. Not a great form of land tenure for publicly owned land, when it excludes the use of that land by the many who own it, for the benefit of the lease holder alone. It isn’t like a mine or similar where there is legitimate safety concerns, it is solely for the benefit of the lease holder to exclude the public from accessing the lease area.
    Last edited by TimberPig; 09-12-2020 at 10:42 PM.

The crown land might also be under a grazing license in which case you can legally hunt that land. Use ImapBC to find out if the land is under a license or lease.

less than 11% of crown land is under grazing lease the rest is license , I live in the cariboo and hunt alongside cows all the time

Hmm. Always happy to learn something. So based on that regulation, if someone’s grazing lease is still open for the year, but there are no cattle in the area (that you can see), you are ok to hunt? The area I hunt is a grazing license, not a lease.
    Last edited by Redthies; 09-13-2020 at 08:53 AM.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Hmm. Always happy to learn something. So based on that regulation, if someone’s grazing lease is still open for the year, but there are no cattle in the area (that you can see), you are ok to hunt? The area I hunt is a grazing license, not a lease.
    Grazing leases require leaseholder permission to enter at any time. Grazing licenses and permits don’t convey any access restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by TimberPig View Post
    Grazing leases require leaseholder permission to enter at any time. Grazing licenses and permits don’t convey any access restrictions.
    How do you know which is which. Leases=restrictive signs---grazing licences and permits=no signage?

I believe there is a difference between a grazing lease and a range permit.

Quote Originally Posted by longwalk View Post
    I believe there is a difference between a grazing lease and a range permit.
    From what I can figure out; A "grazing lease" is issued for, generally, 30yrs, although the minister can lease crown land for up to 60 years, and it confers rights on the lease holder. A right to fence and gate might be one of them, that tenure lasts all year and is subject to "Trespass" that entails, for hunters, permission when "...Crown land which is subject to a grazing lease while the land is occupied by livestock..." (most of the time.) A "Licence of Occupation" confers on the licence holder the right the graze, harvest timber, build a right-of-way, or etc. but NO exclusivity. They can't restrict access. (Hunters would have to pay for any livestock that they shoot.)

I'm not a lawyer and I may be completely wrong in my interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghilliesuit View Post
    From what I can figure out; A "grazing lease" is issued for, generally, 30yrs, although the minister can lease crown land for up to 60 years, and it confers rights on the lease holder. A right to fence and gate might be one of them, that tenure lasts all year and is subject to "Trespass" that entails, for hunters, permission when "...Crown land which is subject to a grazing lease while the land is occupied by livestock..." (most of the time.) A "Licence of Occupation" confers on the licence holder the right the graze, harvest timber, build a right-of-way, or etc. but NO exclusivity. They can't restrict access. (Hunters would have to pay for any livestock that they shoot.)

I'm not a lawyer and I may be completely wrong in my interpretation.
    The Wildlife Act is wrong. Grazing leases give exclusive access year round, not just when cattle are present. If you don’t have the leaseholder’s consent, you are trespassing on their lease and can be charged.

Use iMap to locate the grazing leases and stay off them or get permission. Not all grazing leases are signed as no trespassing and not all lease holders exclude public access, but if you fail to check, you could be facing trespass charges if they choose to pursue it.

Quote Originally Posted by TimberPig View Post
    The Wildlife Act is wrong. Grazing leases give exclusive access year round, not just when cattle are present. If you don’t have the leaseholder’s consent, you are trespassing on their lease and can be charged.

Use iMap to locate the grazing leases and stay off them or get permission. Not all grazing leases are signed as no trespassing and not all lease holders exclude public access, but if you fail to check, you could be facing trespass charges if they choose to pursue it.
    Doesn't it have to be signed and posted for you to be considered to be trespassing? I don't hunt on other peoples property, and now have the ihunter app that shows land ownership so am much more informed, but if its not signed and or posted and i know i am far enough away from a dwelling, highway, park, etc.... I don't think you would either be morally wrong or likely to have to worry about any legal consequence if somehow you didn't know it was leased land.