Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When do livestock vacate crown land?

Re: When do livestock vacate crown land?

Quote Originally Posted by TimberPig View Post
    The Wildlife Act is wrong. Grazing leases give exclusive access year round, not just when cattle are present...
    I will defer to the Wildlife Act, "...Crown land which is subject to a grazing lease while the land is occupied by livestock,.." it doesn't have to be cattle and the Act is quite clear. If there is one livestock the plot is occupied, if there's not it isn't occupied.

If it is fenced and gated, I would seek permission to hunt just like if it was deeded but if I wound an animal and it went onto unoccupied lease land, I would pursue it, tag it and take it.

A plot that is occupied by livestock, I would complete the hunt, tag it, notify the land/lease holder and beg him to keep my kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghilliesuit View Post
    I will defer to the Wildlife Act, "...Crown land which is subject to a grazing lease while the land is occupied by livestock,.." it doesn't have to be cattle and the Act is quite clear. If there is one livestock the plot is occupied, if there's not it isn't occupied.

If it is fenced and gated, I would seek permission to hunt just like if it was deeded but if I wound an animal and it went onto unoccupied lease land, I would pursue it, tag it and take it.

A plot that is occupied by livestock, I would complete the hunt, tag it, notify the land/lease holder and beg him to keep my kill.
    Do what you want, but what you are doing is ignoring the Land Act, where the lease holder’s rights come from and trump the Wildlife Act. You may get away with it, but you may also find out you are wrong and face trespass charges, your call.

Last few years I’ve seen cattle still on range in December. Most are gone earlier but always a few stragglers out there.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/archiv.../t-120801.html

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/fa...2016_final.pdf

Here’s the same story from 5 years ago on here, and info direct from the source on grazing leases.

Timber Pig is absolutely correct. I'm very well acquainted with the terms and conditions of the tenure agreements (the contract between the lessees and Province) and there is nothing that changes the "right to quiet enjoyment" (what legally allows lessees to control access and subjects the lease land to the Tresspass Act) based on livestock being present or not. I dont like it but it's true. Grazing licenses are a way better form of tenure with respect to protecting the public's interests. The Province does not issue new grazing leases (only licenses available now) but will renew those leases already in existence when they expire, so there's still lots of them around.

As a side note, apps like iHunter provide cadastral information, which in my estimation is about 90% effective in reflecting private ownership information. This is the same info you will get through iMap. It is not always correct. If you are getting screamed at by someone who claims to own the land, you'd be best not to scream back that "the app" doesn't say that, lol.

Because of the unreliability, I don't use iHunter, so I'm not sure if it reflects leases, but I doubt it. iMap does accurately reflect lease/license boundaries and distinguish between the two by utilizing the separate layers within the "land ownership and status" folder.
    Last edited by Looking_4_Jerky; 09-14-2020 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Looking_4_Jerky View Post
    I'm very well acquainted with the terms and conditions of the tenure agreements (the contract between the lessees and Province).

If you are getting screamed at by someone who claims to own the land, you'd be best not to scream back.
    I’m also well acquainted with tenure agreements, albeit recreational business use rather than agricultural/grazing. If some were screaming “ I own the land” that they leased,I’d scream back, “sure, and so do I” since I am a public land owner and have the t-shirt to prove it

It should be a requirement to post the roads entering lease land that otherwise shows up as crown on maps, but then there are all the dickheads putting private property signs on crown land to keep others out of their honey holes... It’s a pickle for sure.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Some community pastures are posted as to no hunting and or discharge of firearms between certain dates. Know the local rules for each community pasture you will hunt on.
    THE FEW THE PROUD, SEMPER FI