Thread: fishing spots on the way up to whitehorse?

Hybrid View

fishing spots on the way up to whitehorse?

We're heading up to whitehorse for a fly in end of the month..not sure if we're taking 37 or the AK hwy yet. We'll have a canoe with us. None of us have ever caught a pike or a grayling yet..looking for some advice on places to stop along the way and catch some fish for dinner and a bit of advice on fishing gear....

We've caught plenty of lakers up there but all we needed was a wedding band and a chunk of moose meat lol
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

2. Site Sponsor

Re: fishing spots on the way up to whitehorse?

Couple years ago I fished Kinaskan lake and had good luck with the rainbows. I get the feeling the fish aren’t very pressured up there, sure nice compared to lower mainland. Can’t wait to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    We're heading up to whitehorse for a fly in end of the month..not sure if we're taking 37 or the AK hwy yet. We'll have a canoe with us. None of us have ever caught a pike or a grayling yet..looking for some advice on places to stop along the way and catch some fish for dinner and a bit of advice on fishing gear....

We've caught plenty of lakers up there but all we needed was a wedding band and a chunk of moose meat lol
    For Grayling I would fish a drop off where a stream enters a lake. Any spin casting lure like mepps or rooster tail with lots of black works like a hot damn. Our fly in we just got back from we ate probably a dozen fish off 15 or so casts.

Check the borrow pits on the Alaska Highway.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Tatogga Lake right across from the Red Chris mine has some nice Bows in it

Been a few years since I traveled the 37 corridor, and don't remember the pull out we used to stop at, but it was on the top end. Can't even remember the river, but none the less I always had good fishing for grayling using a tom thumb, dry line, in any stream.
    Few good spots after you hit the Alaska hwy again for stream fishing with pull outs along the hwy, just watch were you are in the Yukon tho, as I don't remember if you can use your BC license for up there. Lots of lakes in the Yukon actually have decent grayling fishing in them, which is something I also found interesting.

I think it was Tarfu I used to fish for pike on the fly rod, but again you are in the Yukon territory for that.

Hope that helps.

If you decide to head up 37 send me a PM and I'll let you know of a lake with tons of pike...