Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizz attack in Pemberton

Grizz attack in Pemberton

Anyone know anyone up there who is hunting. Apparently a 36 year old. Not sure if it’s a hunter. Stay safe

https://globalnews.ca/news/7330857/bc-grizzly-bear-attack-pemberton/

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grizz attack in Pemberton

Happened up in headwaters of North Creek - the trail just got re-brushed and re-set last summer and this summer. It was barely there in 2018 (took me and my partner over 12 hours to cover 7km brutal alder and devil's club, our feet didn't touch actual dirt for what felt like kilometers). Really nothing back there besides grizzlies. LOTS of grizzlies.

Isn't the gate on the Pemberton valley road past the Hurley turnoff locked?

It was my hunting party that was attacked. We were 450 meters from the North Creek cabin on a mountain goat hunt when it happened. We were flown out by search and rescue and my hunting partner is going to be okay. He got cut up pretty good but nothing some stitches cant fix.

If anyone is ever considering buying a Garmin InReach I cant recommend it enough! This was my first ever message sent from it, other than test messages at home, and it just may have saved his life. I will never go anywhere without that piece of kit again. Worth every penny I paid! The best part about the InReach was communicating back and forth with Search and Rescue. Knowing they were on their way was a huge comfort and for them to know the severity of the situation was also invaluable.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

I find this very unusual and would like to hear the full Story what lead up to the Attack.

Back in the day when we still had GOS on Grizzly Bears, we regularly run off Mountain Grizzly Bears which hat claimed a Moose which was shot the evening before and to late to bring Pack Horses or Backpacks up to recover. We found 2 Guides together with a Dog (German Hunting Terrier) or 3 without Guides walking in from above the Kill site making lots of noise could run off any Grizzly so we could recover the Moose.
    This all stopped when Grizzly went on LEH (quota) and I was told by F&W Staff, by doing this we would endanger the Grizzly, possible have to shoot him if he charged and that would create problems for us, so we quit doing it and consequently some Clients lost there Meat to Grizzlies.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Quote Originally Posted by Friday_30-06 View Post
    It was my hunting party that was attacked. We were 450 meters from the North Creek cabin on a mountain goat hunt when it happened. We were flown out by search and rescue and my hunting partner is going to be okay. He got cut up pretty good but nothing some stitches cant fix.

If anyone is ever considering buying a Garmin InReach I cant recommend it enough! This was my first ever message sent from it, other than test messages at home, and it just may have saved his life. I will never go anywhere without that piece of kit again. Worth every penny I paid! The best part about the InReach was communicating back and forth with Search and Rescue. Knowing they were on their way was a huge comfort and for them to know the severity of the situation was also invaluable.
    Glad to hear your hunting partner is going to be ok. Also good props to the Garmin! Lots of comments on how great the unit is on here but I think yours is the first firsthand account I have read where it made such a crucial difference. Noted.

We’re you unable to shoot the grizzly for self defence? I surprised that 3 hunters and no report that the grizzly was wounded.

The story was that we were about 800 meters from the cabin after a 9 hour death hike in (heavily overgrown trail). My buddy went into beast mode just wanting to get to the cabin. He said he would power ahead, open up the cabin, get water and have it all ready for us for when me and my brother inlaw got there hopefully only 10 or 15 minutes behind him.

So he took off and about 20 minutes later we heard yelling as we came up the trail. Buddy had ran to the creek after being attacked. His rifle was securely fastened to his bag so he was unable to shoot. Once we got up to him the bear was already gone, we never did see it.

He said that he had gone around a corner and she was right there, maybe 5 yards away. The attack happened instantly. He got away from the bear by punching it in the nose and then again right in its mouth. He must have a hell of a punch.

We did first aid, made the SOS call then got him the 450 yards to the cabin where we conducted more first aid and corresponded with Search and Rescue.

Hats off to all of the team that came to our aid yesterday. They were there so quickly and all did an amazing job to make sure we were safe and comfortable after the fact.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Yep that suck,s but this scenario is more common then a lot of people can imagine.

You said She, so obviously She had Cubs.
    I hope this is a lesson to others. Never never disable your Gun when in Grizzly Country.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

The story was that we were about 800 meters from the cabin after a 9 hour death hike in (heavily overgrown trail). My buddy went into beast mode just wanting to get to the cabin. He said he would power ahead, open up the cabin, get water and have it all ready for us for when me and my brother inlaw got there hopefully only 10 or 15 minutes behind him.

So he took off and about 20 minutes later we heard yelling as we came up the trail. Buddy had ran to the creek after being attacked. His rifle was securely fastened to his bag so he was unable to shoot. Once we got up to him the bear was already gone, we never did see it.

He said that he had gone around a corner and she was right there, maybe 5 yards away. The attack happened instantly. He got away from the bear by punching it in the nose and then again right in its mouth. He must have a hell of a punch.

We did first aid, made the SOS call then got him the 450 yards to the cabin where we conducted more first aid and corresponded with Search and Rescue.

Hats off to all of the team that came to our aid yesterday. They were there so quickly and all did an amazing job to make sure we were safe and comfortable after the fact.
    wow that’s my worst fear hunting. Glad he’s okay.