Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizz attack in Pemberton

Re: Grizz attack in Pemberton

That’s quite the story to share. I’m glad you guys all made it out.

I do the same thing quite often. Put my rifle down to go and get water or take a poop. I probably won’t anymore.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Update
    https://bc.ctvnews.ca/grizzly-bear-s...ital-1.5102350

Was not that far from the same rugged area in the late 60’s & early 70’s hiking & exploring the high country. My good SFU friend’s Swiss dad had a small ranch in the Pemberton valley.
    We had no problems with bears & the only ones we saw were black.
    Always carried a 308 norma mag for protection.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Thanks for the details and glad your friend is going to be okay.
    Great advice about the InReach!

And yes, heavy dense trails can be a touchy scenario.
    I hunt an older cut block, that when it was low and could glass everything, i saw plenty of Grizzly in it over the years.
    When i walk it now, i carry rifle with finger on the safety.
    They aint around every corner or hiding behind every tree, but they are there at times, so just be wary folks.

Take Care and wish your partner a speedy recovery!

I totally agree.

I'm still relatively new to hunting and you can't buy everything at once, so I have yet to purchase one. I don't have any local hunting partners, so 90% of my hunts are solo and backcountry.

this is making me think i should stop being cheap and get one sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    Glad to hear your hunting partner is going to be ok. Also good props to the Garmin! Lots of comments on how great the unit is on here but I think yours is the first firsthand account I have read where it made such a crucial difference. Noted.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

People need to understand, High Country that is just out of Timberline and above 4500 elevation is the poorest Country for finding Food for a Grizzly. That is certainly not prime habitat where the really Big Bears are. Big Male Grizzly given a chance will kill Grizzly Bear Cubs that is exactly why especially younger Grizzly Bear Sows will take them up into the high country away from the Cub killing Big Boars.
    Hiking on a Trail is usually a fairly noisy affair. If a Grizzly can hear you he usually be long gone before you would get a Glimpse of him.
    But in the open, in high Grass/Lupine and such and near Creeks because the noise of the Water can muffle your sound and presence be especially alert.
    And never never Run, stand your Ground Round in the Chamber safety off and hold your Fire till he is almost on top of you. Grizzly's have poor nerves and most all-ways abandon there charge.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

I am glad your friend is doing ok. I know most hunters wouldn't take advantage of it, but this is why handgun wilderness carry permits should be issued by CFO's for anyone with a RPAL and hunting license.
    Last edited by Overlander2018; 09-12-2020 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Overlander2018 View Post
    I am glad your friend is doing ok. I know most hunters wouldn't take advantage of it, but this is why handgun wilderness carry permits should be issued by CFO's for anyone with a RPAL and hunting license.
    I agree 100%. It’s also the reason I NEVER strap my rifle to my pack.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I really just don’t get it. If trappers and surveyors can carry pistols in the woods, why can’t hunters? It’s like saying our lives aren’t worth defending. I dont have an rpal, but would get one if I could carry in the woods.

Glad everyone is ok, quite the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce44 View Post
    I really just don’t get it. If trappers and surveyors can carry pistols in the woods, why can’t hunters? It’s like saying our lives aren’t worth defending. I dont have an rpal, but would get one if I could carry in the woods.

Agree!
    A properly loaded handgun should be made available to all hunters especially the bow hunters for protection. Never mind that leftist garbage about the efficacy of bear spray.
    It won't work on a predatory & determined bear. PERIOD!
    I'm a BCLS & a CLS so have permission to carry a handgun when in the wilderness surveying.
    Bought a revolver in 1965 for bear protection when surveying.
    Had a lot of bear encounters but never had to use the pistol.

A survey party chief working around the same time(60's) & area (Hudson Hope) had to shoot a charging grizz while he was taking a drink from a small stream.
    It took a few shots from a 44 mag to kill the grizz. The surveyor wasn't touched.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein