Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grizz attack in Pemberton

Re: Grizz attack in Pemberton

Quote Originally Posted by bruce44 View Post
    I really just don’t get it. If trappers and surveyors can carry pistols in the woods, why can’t hunters? It’s like saying our lives aren’t worth defending. I dont have an rpal, but would get one if I could carry in the woods.

Agree!
    A properly loaded handgun should be made available to all hunters especially the bow hunters for protection. Never mind that leftist garbage about the efficacy of bear spray.
    It won't work on a predatory & determined bear. PERIOD!
    I'm a BCLS & a CLS so have permission to carry a handgun when in the wilderness surveying.
    Bought a revolver in 1965 for bear protection when surveying.
    Had a lot of bear encounters but never had to use the pistol.

A survey party chief working around the same time(60's) & area (Hudson Hope) had to shoot a charging grizz while he was taking a drink from a small stream.
    It took a few shots from a 44 mag to kill the grizz. The surveyor wasn't touched.
    Last edited by mpotzold; 09-12-2020 at 09:45 PM.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I’m glad your friend is going to be okay, and thanks for the reminder to always bring an InReach. I had several run-ins with grizzly this summer at work. Even had one roaring at me and a bear bio. Anyone know how to get a carry permit and what the restrictions are?

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    I’m glad your friend is going to be okay, and thanks for the reminder to always bring an InReach. I had several run-ins with grizzly this summer at work. Even had one roaring at me and a bear bio. Anyone know how to get a carry permit and what the restrictions are?

I have a ATC As a pilot, I carry a smith 629 in the plane and then on me when I’m out in the bush.

You have to take the course and pass, then get approved. For 1 handgun and for a specific area (district) to carry it.

RCmP wants to know why you want a handgun, for bear defence and a potential crash/survival situation.

AND why a long gun won’t be sufficient!!!!

so Hunters arnt on the list because if you are already hunting with a rifle you won’t “need” a handgun according to RCmP

edit- they want copies of my log book showing flight hours and where, also talked to my employer, and I had to pass the shooting portion of the course with the 44 shooting a playing card sized target representing a bears brain head on
    Last edited by firebird; 09-13-2020 at 06:24 AM.

Thanks for information. I work in the bush for several months a year, generally in areas with high grizzly populations. I always figured getting and then dealing with the permit restrictions would be a pain. Looks like that’s the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    Thanks for information. I work in the bush for several months a year, generally in areas with high grizzly populations. I always figured getting and then dealing with the permit restrictions would be a pain. Looks like that’s the case.
    its not a huge deal to get and keep if you really want it.

Others might know but there seems to be a lot of grey areas for me is such as when I’m in town at the dock or in the office, I leave the gun in the plane or locked in the office, you can carry open or concealed and technically I’m still working in my approved district and could have the handgun on me in public in those cases.

You are also supposed to declare it to a peace officer if approached. Have never had that situation but I wonder how that’d go down. With a CO or cop who knows his stuff probably not an issue.

Wow glad everyone is ok ! I just had my second hunting trip up there I was definitely sketched out about bears. Had one finger on the safety in all thick brush !