Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you hunt fall bears?

How do you hunt fall bears?

Any tips on hunting fall bears? I always have a tag leftover from spring bear hunting since it seems so hard to get out in the spring but I've never gone out and looked for them in the fall. I might try and get my 9 year old out with me so I'm hoping it's something we can head out for the day or maybe an overnight that isn't too far from Mission. I don't need to find a giant just some meat and experience for the two of us.

Cheers!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How do you hunt fall bears?

I'm interested in this as well.
    I also have a Tag left from Spring.

Most people I know shoot fall bears just on opportunity. They don’t really target them. I’d imagine they would be hitting the food sources pretty hard though.

Sub alpine blueberries patches are always a good bet for a nice bear this time of year, if not any hillsides that still have a good amount of berries would be where I'd concentrate my time

I would say hill sides with berries too. Most common area I see bears in the fall is a cut I hunt that I know is packed with wild strawberries.

Hillsides with berries, orchards, grain/corn fields. Look for food sources. If you can get a vantage point with some elevation to look over a larger area. Spot and stalk. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey87 View Post
    Sub alpine blueberries patches are always a good bet for a nice bear this time of year, if not any hillsides that still have a good amount of berries would be where I'd concentrate my time
    This is what I find leads to success with harvesting a black bear in the fall...berries in clear cuts can also be very productive, but where I am in the interior, the last half of summer was a very dry one, so the black huckleberries etc are almost dried right out so haven't seen many in clear cuts this fall...

Road hunt until you find the mounds of huckleberry pie filling in the road. Park the truck and get out and find the huckleberries. Hand pick and eat berries until the bear smells you and stands up to take a look. That's when you got him.

Hunt the berries.

Alpine is better this time of year but I'm still running into them in the valley bottoms and there's a few on the trailcams.

I know a hillside that usually has 2-4 bears on it at any given time, just got a text that my friends, one less as of tonight! Time to render some lard.....