Thread: Moose Habitat - Region 5 question

Moose Habitat - Region 5 question

I've got a question about moose habitat in the late stages of the rut that I'm hoping someone on here can help me with. I've got a moose draw (any bull) for Oct. 1-15 in an area I've camped in but never hunted before, and in the process of scouting areas on Google Earth I've found an area I'm very intrigued about - it is boat access only up a small outflow stream into a fairly tight valley. The bottom of the valley is predominantly swamp with the odd Spruce stand in it, while the valley walls are steep and thick timber with the occasional landslide/avalanche chute.

I've hunted moose before (not overly successfully) by either cruising cutblocks or sitting/calling on walk-in swamps. At this point my plan is to head up this stream in a large inflatable canoe (SOAR Pro Pioneer - not a Canadian Tire Special) with small kicker and camp/hunt this area for a couple days. My question is whether or not Moose will still be using this kind of area this late in the rut, or if they've moved out if these areas fully into more forested/flat pockets (in other words, am I better off hunting cutblocks vs. this backcountry area). I can call reasonably well, but I'll be hunting solo so only one caller. I'm not afraid of the work required to hunt/pack/deal with a bull moose solo on a float like this (combination of experience and naivete).

Happy to share more information via PM if needed.

Many thanks

Ag

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose Habitat - Region 5 question

Oct 1-15 is prime time rutting in that zone. Find a good spot and call! Best of luck

I agree with hodgey33, you will be hunting the peak of the rut, not late in the rut. As mentioned find a good spot along the edge of the swamp and call. There have been years in Region 15 that bulls came to the call the first or second day, but other times like in 2018, I called in my favourite spot for several days and just when I was ready to give up two big mature bulls were there at first light on the 8th day. Good luck.

It has not been overly hot temperature wise in the Cariboo. Matter of fact, it has been downright wet for most of the summer. I don't know what MU you are in but if you are east of the Fraser River, I would likely hunt at elevation. Bulls, even with cows in estrus are not going to leave their perch just for some nookie. They'll stay up top where they can escape the black flies which will be pretty thick at lower elevations this year. West of the Fraser is much the same as same but you would have to have your LEH in the most westerly part of the region. Most people do not know that there is a moose migration in the area but there is. Especially with the mature bulls. There is always the transient population, predominately cows and immature bulls. The game changer is early snow, drives the most down to wintering range. Your chances will increase if there is early snow. Then the game changes and since it is early October, there is always the chance of snow away from the Fraser River.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Inflatable canoe + moose meat = overloaded canoe if the wind comes up. Unless you do small loads. Then there is a chance a bear will be tasting the choice parts of your moose upon your return.
    What zone?
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"