Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AZ Elk......Massive

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Re: AZ Elk......Massive

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    There is nothing that money can't buy. Enough coin will get you a governors permit. Enough coin pays for an outfitter and a dozen people to locate and then keep tabs on the single animal that the "hunter" wants to kill. In this case the shooter did have to make the thousand yard shot and so had to spend time at the range practicing to do what I think is generally a bad idea...shooting at those distances can go wrong in a fraction of a second. Luckily the bull was calm and stationary, occupied with feeding.

A legal hunt and a wonderful bull...but in the end it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and the whole circus that revolved around the taking of this bull does not portray hunters in a positive light to the masses.
    All around quite something. Not to many People can hit a Target at 960 yards. Even with lots of practice with the 7mm Rem Mag or the 8*68 Weatherby I tap out at under 500. Would love to see the actual Shooter take the shot, caliber and Rifle would also be of interest.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

I have to agree with GreyDog, that's not hunting or fair chase. It's just the harvesting of a magnificent bull elk that wasn't earned by the hunter. I think we have to separate hunting and LOOOOONG range shooting. Don't get me wrong, I realize how hard it is to shoot 600,700,800 900 and 1000 yards and the type of equipment you have to have to be able to shoot those extreme distances and never mind the practise it takes to pull it off. But that's shooting, not hunting.

At what yardage does it not become hunting but shooting then? Everyone in my opinion ( not just here) is shooting themselves in the foot. All was legal, guy has money , gets a fantastic bull and goes home. He showed good character and wasn’t full of himself. Whatever floats your boat. There is many different ways to hunt and many different ways to hunt when you have extra cash to burn
    Member of CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post
    At what yardage does it not become hunting but shooting then? Everyone in my opinion ( not just here) is shooting themselves in the foot. All was legal, guy has money , gets a fantastic bull and goes home. He showed good character and wasn’t full of himself. Whatever floats your boat. There is many different ways to hunt and many different ways to hunt when you have extra cash to burn
    Agreed. The guy never claims to be some bad ass hunter that got the trophy after miles and days of pursuit, he even admits to not being a real hunter. You dont know his situation, or the circumstances, or the story behind the story. Dont apply how you think it should be done to every other hunt taking place in the world. We are all different and have access to do different levels of things. If you think this gives PETA more ammo, it doesn't, they dont need more ammo, they just constantly regurg the same tired old stories to the people that give that byline credence. It doesn't meet what I would consider hunting for myself, and some of you think the same, but dont paint the hunt and guy with a bad brush because he did that. IMHO hunters dissing hunters for a completely legal harvest that doesn't meet some internal moral compass of what some think hunting should be for all makes the hunting community look bad, not that hunt.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

IMHO hunters dissing hunters for a completely legal harvest that doesn't meet some internal moral compass of what some think hunting should be for all makes the hunting community look bad, not that hunt.
    Whole heartedly agree with this! Some of these comments reek of "elitism" to me....something akin to the dry fly purist looking down their nose at the "bait fisherman".

Bottom line...... it was a legal hunt, that put a bunch of dough back into fish and game, and the hunter was happy with HIS harvest. when the ethics/morals police shit on that, they are doing as much damage to our cause as any anti.

JMO
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Maybe a few folks should be required to build their homes with their own hands. Not really fair to buy it, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    Maybe a few folks should be required to build their homes with their own hands. Not really fair to buy it, is it?
    I did. Dug the hole, mixed and poured the concrete, pounded every nail, ran every wire, every pipe. So there!
    This wasn't a hunt any more than when some duke took a ride on a train and shot buffalo from the car. Sorry, but no admiration here; except for the bull. They grow some big bulls down there and a lot of elk. GD

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    I don’t have a problem with a governors tag. That’s a huge injection of money into fish and wildlife that the small amounts that resident tags cost couldn’t hope to match. So one rich guy gets to spend a couple hundred grand on a tag, doesn’t bug me at all.
    I'm with you. Listened to a podcast regarding gov tag and it sounds like those dollars are required to go back into projects. The $$ does not go into a general revenue pool.

Wish we had more revenue for projects like that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    great bull. excellent shot but somehow, for me, a guy that admits he isn't a hunter killing a majestic bull like that at nearly 1000 yards just doesn't do it justice. Like he implies it is killing not hunting per se.
    iam with you on this one

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    great bull. excellent shot but somehow, for me, a guy that admits he isn't a hunter killing a majestic bull like that at nearly 1000 yards just doesn't do it justice. Like he implies it is killing not hunting per se.
    iam with you on this one