Thread: Objective Size

Objective Size

Hey everyone,

I’m looking to add a new spotting scope to my backpack. I have always been an advocate for larger objective lenses, for obvious reasons, but now I am facing a dilemma myself. Is it worth the weight saving to drop down to a slightly more compact, and smaller (65mm) spotting scope for use in the backcountry, or should I opt for an 85mm spotter and deal with the additional weight? I haven’t narrowed it down to a brand yet, but it won’t be cheap glass regardless.. simply put will a 65mm vs an 85mm spotter potentially make or break a hunt?

Feel free to let me know what spotters you all have in your packs!
    WCH

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Objective Size

For Backpack hunting I would say get the 65mm. If you are buying good glass like Swaro, you won't gain that great an advantage with the 85mm. The weight savings alone will be worth it.

IMO the 85mm will add much desired clarity at high power at last light. I personally run a 65mm swaro and find it very manageable to carry and pack. On a backpack hunt I choose the 65mm.

After using a 66mm for a lot of years, I split the difference and went with a 77mm. No regrets so far and this is my 3rd or 4th season with it. There is a step up in performance, but really it’s small enough that it takes comparing side by side to notice.

That being said, I don’t think the difference will make or break an opportunity. Any good 65mm spotting scope will give you more than enough performance in almost all hunting situations. I think the small increase in performance is just a great way to satisfy/justify my “gear junkie” obsession.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 09-08-2020 at 11:53 AM.