Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Increasing sleep comfort in the hills

Re: Increasing sleep comfort in the hills

These mats mentioned are all air mattresses, just different versions and thicknesses
    So the point seems to be that some guys need more air cushion than others, from 3/4" to 3"
    then there is the R- value
    My fav is still the cheese slice, 3/4" dense foam but it doesn't pack down very small but cheap enough to burn before the trip out
    Last edited by boxhitch; 09-08-2020 at 08:43 AM. Reason: except the zedlite
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I had an Exped Downmat 7 UL but the seems blew out of it. Was on warentee from seller so they sent me a new one without issues. Replacement did the exact same thing.... but I skipped a year of backpacking and the warrantee expired. Good product before it failed but I wasn’t spending that kind of money again.
    Went with a neo air. Good bang for the buck but I just hunt the early season.
    I adapted the snozzlebag from my exped to fit my Neo air. Works great

SSS
    Last edited by Stone Sheep Steve; 09-08-2020 at 12:18 PM.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I feel for ya man, if you can't get a good night's rest to recover everything goes downhill the longer you stay out.
    Then there's the anxiety knowing you're gonna have a shitty sleep when you're out there.
    For what it's worth, here's what I found works for me:

Neoair Xtherm large has more room to sleep on, the bottom is a bit thicker and more puncture resistant than the Xlite I believe and obviously warmer.
    I'm a side sleeper and found that I prefer it more on the firm side. If I can put my weight on my hip while I'm on my side and touch the ground through the mat, it's too soft.
    If I have it firm I sleep great, softer and I feel back soreness coming on.

Next item is a blow up pillow from MEC. I used to roll the ol' puffy up but I'm done with that.
    The key here is to have the pillow quite soft, I mean it feels like you didn't even blow it up half way.
    Then you stick the bulk of the squishy pillow in your neck, not your head.
    At first when I had the pillow harder and put it under my head it would screw me up because it compressed my neck.
    With the much softer pillow mostly under the neck area while still supporting the head, it elongates the neck and feels great.

My spine is probably lined up fairly horizontal with this setup.
    I just got back from 9 days above 2000m and felt as good or better on the way home.
    My tag is still in my pocket though so more backcountry sleeps to come.

Hope you figure out a system that works for ya.

I would suggest sleeping on the floor at home a week before heading out so your body gets accustomed to sleeping on hard surfaces.
    Switch to hardest mattress you can find.
    Almost all the people I know with lower back problems sleep on soft mattresses.
    Making soft mattresses should be a punishable offense.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I have an Exped Downmat 7 and an Exped Downmat Winterlite. I bought the Winterlite for when I really want to shave off a little more bulk and ounces. I used it for the first time on this years sheep hunt. The contour is very slim and short and the material is loud compared to the Downmat 7. Despite its higher R-value, it’s not quite as warm as the Downmat 7, probably because there’s no down insulation in the outside baffles/tubes. Overall it worked good for me but the 7 seems to be the best compromise for weight/bulk, warmth and room. My brother has been using a Downmat 9 for a long time on our backpack trips and he wouldn’t change a thing.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 09-08-2020 at 03:44 PM.

This trip I’m using a klymit static v recon I think it’s called. I got it on sale at sportchek.ca for I think about $120. It’s 3.5” thick and claims an r value of 6.5. I don’t know if it’s exactly a backpacking mat but I think an extra bit of weight is worth it for sleeping. I’m not a hardcore guy so I’m still working my way into backpacking gear so take that for what it’s worth.

Seems pretty warm but I’ve discovered my 20+ year old -18 bag is not what it used to be lol. I was warm underneath below freezing but not on top. I also found it’s pretty slippery through the night so I think I’ll have to add some silicone to it and keep trying it out but I’m a side sleeper and it seem pretty comfortable. Now I just need to figure out the pillow situation.

I use a big Agnes something something for a mattress it's very comfortable....and the other two items that increase my comfort ability in the woods is sleeping with my .30-06 and a pack alarm....

Thermarest basecamp xl for a 250 pounder like me.

Ok, I'm typing this off an exped down lite 5, as I test it out tonight.

Picked it up tonight, and not sure I can convince myself to keep it at the $165 (plus tax!) Price tag.

Let's see how the night goes.

I have a thermarest basecamp already which is quite a bit better than regular thermarest, but bulkier and heavier. I might take that one up in the hills if this expensive one isnt all that great.

I use a Dutch bivy bag as it has a hoop giving you some head space unlike the US/Canadian bivy. It also has loops on the bottom that will hold your sleeping pad in place. I have a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xtherm Max WV with a Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest SOLite Sleeping Pad underneath to protect the NeoAir from sharp sticks and stones. This combo has a very high R-value. In the winter I put my WM Puma in there and have camped out in -20C without needing to zip it up all the way. Very comfortable and these new NeoAirs are not very crunchy.
    Last edited by 35rem; 09-08-2020 at 10:05 PM.