Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Increasing sleep comfort in the hills

Increasing sleep comfort in the hills

Ok, so those with back problems, or general sh** sleep on the mountain, what have you done to increase comfort and improve your quality of sleep?

The old thermarest just isnt cutting it for me anymore. Wake up all stiff and sore. Curious what ex thermarest users have moved onto. Thanks!!

My basecamp setup is quite comfy with generous foam and a cot, but obviously, it's not practical for a hike-in hunt.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Increasing sleep comfort in the hills

I am a side sleeper with ciatica issues. I started using Exped mats a couple years ago and haven’t looked back. I have 3 different models and they are amazing. They are also very durable. I consider sleep quality to be one of the top 3 considerations on a backpack hunt, next to rain gear and food.

Ditto on the exped. I had an old thin heavy Thermarest before and woke up in pain all the time. I fight lower back issues, and spasms, the exped definitely did help with my comfort and I don’t wake up as sore, usually.

I did pick up a x-therm max along with my exped, the x-therm was definitely warmer to lay on, but the exped had the comfort, no comparison imo.

I have a thermorest neoair and find it very comfortable (not comparable to the older ones) however, it's crazy loud and crunchy to sleep on. I've had buddies tent near by say they could hear every time I moved an inch ... for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by exv View Post
    I have a thermorest neoair and find it very comfortable (not comparable to the older ones) however, it's crazy loud and crunchy to sleep on. I've had buddies tent near by say they could hear every time I moved an inch ... for what it's worth.
    A friend had the Same one and not only was it loud but it went flat on him as well. That was a bummer.

Thanks guys!
    Any additional tips for improving sleep posture or anything like that?

I used to sleep anywhere and on anything but now I'm definitely no longer able to. Woke up one morning last year so stiff I couldn't tie my boots on. Couldn't be down to reach the laces!

What Exped mat are you all using?
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    Exped-9, as good as it gets without sleeping on a bed, or a cot.

I have a neoair Xlite that I really like. I pack the little battery pump and it’s great. Does sound like you’re sleeping on a chip bag but it’s worth it for the extra r value

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    I use the synmat UL in a medium wide. My gf uses the synmat winter UL in regular width. The wide model is worth the extra little bit of weight/volume imo, and in hers too.