Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I on the right track?

Am I on the right track?

Hey everyone

I'm new to hunting and I have learned tons over the last few months, scouting online and getting on the ground.
    I have some coordinates that to my eye seem like decent spots to go check out but in the past ive thought a place looked great and when I get there its a total bust.
    Am hoping that maybe one of you would be willing to check the spot out (via google earth or whatever platform you use) and share some thoughts on if you think I'm on the right track or not.

Would be great to get an experienced eye on them in hopes that I can learn more about what I am doing right or wrong.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Am I on the right track?

Quote Originally Posted by Zwickerj View Post
    Hey everyone

I'm new to hunting and I have learned tons over the last few months, scouting online and getting on the ground.
    I have some coordinates that to my eye seem like decent spots to go check out but in the past ive thought a place looked great and when I get there its a total bust.
    Am hoping that maybe one of you would be willing to check the spot out (via google earth or whatever platform you use) and share some thoughts on if you think I'm on the right track or not.

Would be great to get an experienced eye on them in hopes that I can learn more about what I am doing right or wrong.
    Was there sign when you went and checked it out?

You just have to get out and try new spots. Just because the animal you are after is not in a certain spot one time the next time you go the animal could be in that spot. With hunting you are always learning new things.
    With google earth things always look way better on the computer screen until you get out and try it yourself. If you got the time get out and enjoy the outdoors.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

If only Google earth would show the animals as well. Ground and pound. That is how you find new territory.

The spot needs to have 3 things. Water, food source and a bedding area.
    And you need to check it out before they head to the wintering grounds.
    There is nothing like spending time in the bush walking quietly, stopping, listening.
    I have met 2 guys in a UTV with little or no exhaust brappping their way through the bush and stopped to tell me there is no animals around. Huh.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by Zwickerj View Post
    Hey everyone...

I have some coordinates that to my eye seem like decent spots to go check out...
    What are the coordinates, I won't tell anyone.

You can pick a general area from google. When you hit the ground, if there is no fresh browse, tracks, scat, rubs, beds, etc., keep walking. You have to be disciplined to look for sign as well as looking for animals.

Ground check, don't internet check.

PM me if you’d like. I can help you out
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308

All good points above, also keep in mind google maps hasn't been updated in what 5-7 years??