Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting Through Brush

Re: Shooting Through Brush

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Takes very little to deflect an arrow or bullet causing a miss or worse, a poorly placed shot. You made the right decision; wish more people used your thought process so we had less wounded game. Great job!!!
    Totally agree!

I never shoot at an animal that can't be perfectly seen. Also I avoid shooting when the animal is running. Identification & safety are paramount.

Started hunting with a bow & arrow in the early 60's when living in Kirkland Lake Ont. but switched to guns when moving to Kitchener/Waterloo.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Put a target behind some brush and try shooting thru it and you will know. You made the right call.

You made a good call.
    I’ve had small branches deflect my arrow way off while practicing shooting through openings. Up close is probably worse because the arrow could still be in paradox and be less stable also it’s hard to know your trajectory up close.

Not saying you should shoot through brush. But a heavy arrow and a fixed blade would probably buy you some insurance if you end up inadvertently shooting through some green stuff.

Slim to no chance an arrow is getting through there. Go back and clear a few decent size shooting lanes and try again, just make sure the lanes are tall enough as that arrow doesn’t travel on a laser straight path and as the previous post stated the arrow could still be flexing.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

thanks gents. I was much more focused on clearing on my other setups over the last couple days.
    Very educational experience and I really appreciate you all chiming in and confirming that it was a bad shot to take. Definitely felt/looked like it.

Good luck to you all with your rifles!

Like others have said that was definitely the right call to not shoot. I let an arrow fly at a mule deer from 19 yards with considerably less bush in the way a few years ago, the arrow ended up knicking a branch about 1/4" in diameter, deflecting up over the deer's back and lodged in a tree 30 yards behind the deer. I was lucky with probably the best of a bad outcome, way better than a non-lethal hit on the deer. I learned my lesson and now will only shoot with a 99.9% clear shot.

I would not take that shot now either. Although, admittedly I did when I first started - trying to hit a bird - ended up busting the arrow.

Remember the arrow wobbles back and forth as it flies "straight." That wobbling would likely hit a branch even if you were clear otherwise.