Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Through Brush

Shooting Through Brush

So I was full draw on a spike bull within 10 yards from me yesterday. I could see the vitals but there was a decent amount of brush between me and the bull.

A couple of the bases of the brush was thicker but the brush itself was now dense.

I held for a while contemplating the outcome and I didn't want to potentially wound and have to track in the location I was in. I tried to pull him into an opening about 5yds to my left but he pushed down and away. Opportunity lost.

So a more experienced hunter may have taken the shot but I am not sure how much/far an arrow can deflect over short distances...

So I'll try to get a picture that I took up so that you can see it.

But generally, do you shoot through brush? What are you chance?

Thanks y'all

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Shooting Through Brush

http://imgur.com/gallery/80VhT4q

That's the picture of the brush. The head of the elk was behind tree. Body was to the right of it.

My angle wasn't exactly like the picture but it gives you an idea of some of the larger branches criss crossing.

Not a chance of a Good HIT ! Good JUDGEMENT used ! RJ
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 09-07-2020 at 02:06 PM.

It doesn't' take much to significantly deflect an arrow and there is a ton of shit the arrow can hit in that picture.

Always best to just wait for a clear shot. You say opportunity lost, I say you may have saved yourself a nightmare and made the right call.

You made the right, ethical decision. Good on you.

I think you showed good sense in not taking the shot as you could not be sure of a clean kill. I think your experience level is just fine based on your decision. Good on you, it's very difficult to pass up a shot after all the work you put in, but a low probability shot usually turns out poorly. Hopefully karma will reward you.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

You are the kind of Hunter I wish we all where !

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Thanks to you all. Great to know it was the right call and that it wasn't a missed opportunity.

Been replaying it over and over in my tired mind.
    Was fearing that it was a shot I should've taken.

Lots learned from that encounter.
    1) setup is huge. Make damn sure that you have clear paths to elk. My first opportunity at it was a broad side shot but I couldn't stop him which a result of number 2
    2) square up to where the animal is going to be, not where it was coming from
    3) practice with your gear. I hadn't proactive drawing from my knee with my chest pack. When I squared up wrong, I was trying to draw into myself as the bull moved in front of me. I did not have enough room to fully draw. All would've been fine if I was squared up to where he was going to be...

Then to have it stand broad side at 8yds behind that bush for what felt like a minute or more... That was painful.

Thanks again for the support and hopefully some of my failures will help other newbs

Takes very little to deflect an arrow or bullet causing a miss or worse, a poorly placed shot. You made the right decision; wish more people used your thought process so we had less wounded game. Great job!!!
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

one tiny branch can deflect an arrow many feet off course...good decision....

I remember years ago I had a buck at about 25 yards and there was ONE small branch hanging down from an aspen tree and I thought I was clear of it...the arrow hit that branch and deflected down,,the good news..the arrow hit his front hoof and skimmed passed...that branch was the thickness of about a pencil .