Thread: 7-23E Moose Draw

7-23E Moose Draw

We just got back today from a week of hunting LEH moose in zone 7-23E. We hunted very hard and seen no moose and no real new sign. We hunted high and low and along the swamps. We were very surprized that we did see anything. We talked to the local loggers and they have not seen any moose either. We also heard that the area was depleated of moose We thought about going back for the rut, but are not sure if we are going to go back there again. I was wondering if anyone has hunted this area in the last year and when is the best time to hunt. Please any advice apprechiated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 7-23E Moose Draw

Couple years ago I had the draw for 716 we had the same issue no moose anywhere. I think that whole area is not good early season

Rut could be totally different. I’d definitely go back if I had a draw

Get back in there for the rut. You never know what can happen. It might be your last moose draw you ever get. You have two posts on this, probably by accident but you should delete your other one.

i wouldn’t let that stop you from hunting the rut. I hunted there a few years ago. We shot a moose and the guys next to us shot a big old bull. Another party we talked to had shot several moose floating the river. Moose are pretty crafty until they let their guard down for a piece of tale.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Go back definitely! The rut is a whole new story.
    I never hunt moose hard. I find the best spot in the area on the Google Earth. Around water, and trees/bush. Setup on high ground down wind and start cow calling at first light and Let the moose do the hunting hard for you.

Running all over spreading you sent around isn’t going to help you get a good hunting outcome.

Also when it’s early it’s still hot out the moose are not out running around when it is like this. If I hunt them early I will find the lowest, thickest, darkest bush in the area preferably with water swamp, pond, spring. Slip in early, wind in your face. Sit in a spot on top or on the middle of the ridge. Low enough to see the ground through the bush. Sit still all day and watch things start to happen. Never walk down into the bottom of these spots anything that is in there will leave before you even know they were there. Use your eyes and stay concealed and still.

I have had moose all around me for the entire day in thick bush. They were all well within 100 yards. They had no clue I was there and would lay down, get up walk 20 feet and find a new tree to lay down again and lean their head gear on. Within an hour some more of his friends can show up. These are the trips I love to be on glass all day with lots of action going on.

I've hunted 7-23E for moose but not since 2012. Not easy country to hunt, very thick. Lots of grizzlies
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004