Thread: Scared off a buck, what now

Scared off a buck, what now

I had my first shot at a buck Mule deer today. I was sitting on the ground in a farm field and a doe and her fawn walked up beside me. I didn’t move but she spotted me and wouldn’t stop looking. Finally moved behind some grass where I thought she couldn’t see me if I moved.
    a buck came to view 10yards away. I waited until he put his head down to raise my crossbow.
    But then I hear a snort to my left. The doe was apparently able to see me. The buck and fawn ran about 50 yards and looked around. The doe kept a 20 yard distance bounding and snorting.

i couldn’t see where they went so I stood up and right there 50 yards away the buck was staring at me. I sat back down and I could hear the 2 deer snorting back and forth. Then some dingus off in the distance on his farm sets off fireworks and scares them into the trees. It’s 7am right now. What would you guys do in this situation? I contemplating on whether I should just go home or stay here until noon. What do you guys think? Should I just wait a week and hunt other places hoping they come back?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Scared off a buck, what now

That’s hunting for ya. Stick around. Maybe another buck will happen by. Then come back in a few days.

Chase him ,be persistent. You know he there if you you have the opportunity to hike around go looking for him you might get lucky,you can't shoot him sitting on the couch lol. I've chased deer for 2 hours before I finally got close enough to put an arrow in him. Good luck

Unfortunately he ran into a tree line on someone else’s farm who doesn’t like anyone hunting.

Let the area cool off for day or so the other thing you can do is put like 5 bags of corn and some apples and bale of alphalpha hay there i guarantee he will be back..

Quote Originally Posted by 338edgehunter View Post
    Let the area cool off for day or so the other thing you can do is put like 5 bags of corn and some apples and bale of alphalpha hay there i guarantee he will be back..
    I’m on a hay farm so there’s hay bails already. I’m honestly surprised there’s only been 3 deer so far. The owner won’t let me use fruit because it will attract the black bears nearby. Thanks for the info.

lol yup my kid loves morning fireworks.