Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cargo trailer conversion started

Re: Cargo trailer conversion started

Quote Originally Posted by BCHoyt View Post
    We are in the process of looking for a 6X12 V-nose to convert. Ive seen windows that people have mounted between the support beams so you wouldnt have to cut into them at all and comprimise any structure or have to weld in cross braces if you have to go thru a beam. As for insulation I will also be pricing out spray foam but most likey will be going with 1" rigid foam, and spray insulation from the cans for the tight spots. For the building structure inside Im going to price out the aluminum t-track I think its called. 2x4 and 2x2 if going with wood. Make sure whatever your bed is laying on is either has slats or some other form of venting underneath it. Ive seen 2" wholesaw cut outs in a pattern before also.

How hard was it to do the axle flip as thats the first thing I want to do when we get ours. Figure it will be easier with the lighter trailer before all the interior is being built out.

we had e and h hitch flip them 500 bucks for dual axle

Quote Originally Posted by BCHoyt View Post
    We are in the process of looking for a 6X12 V-nose to convert. Ive seen windows that people have mounted between the support beams so you wouldnt have to cut into them at all and comprimise any structure or have to weld in cross braces if you have to go thru a beam. As for insulation I will also be pricing out spray foam but most likey will be going with 1" rigid foam, and spray insulation from the cans for the tight spots. For the building structure inside Im going to price out the aluminum t-track I think its called. 2x4 and 2x2 if going with wood. Make sure whatever your bed is laying on is either has slats or some other form of venting underneath it. Ive seen 2" wholesaw cut outs in a pattern before also.

How hard was it to do the axle flip as thats the first thing I want to do when we get ours. Figure it will be easier with the lighter trailer before all the interior is being built out.
    Technically you don't flip the axles people who do this usually have extreme tire wear problems. The axles have a camber in them and only go on one side up. You're just mounting the Springs from below the axles to the top of the axle. If the spring hanger mounts are on both sides of the axle it can be like a two-hour job for a couple of guys. If there's not a spring hanger mount on both sides of the axle you have to buy some and weld them on. Done several of these and their no big deal. Wire brush the ubolt threads. Lub therads 50 50 mix atf and acetone, if thay look like they have lots of rock dents in the threads use a thread die on them. You will have to undo tge brake lines most times, heat shrink or silacone the connection after. While you're in there, check the brakes and wash and grease the bearings, get the numbers off the bearings and by at least one spare pack it in Grease and keep it squirreled away somewhere in the trailer. This can save you a lot of driving when your way out in the middle of nowhere.

PS also check the nylon bushings in the eye holes on the springs, but usely only over loaded or high mileage trailers need these replaced. Pennys now or $$$ later.
    Last edited by MRP; 09-04-2020 at 12:12 PM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Technically you don't flip the axles people who do this usually have extreme tire wear problems. The axles have a camber in them and only go on one side up. You're just mounting the Springs from below the axles to the top of the axle. If the spring hanger mounts are on both sides of the axle it can be like a two-hour job for a couple of guys. If there's not a spring hanger mount on both sides of the axle you have to buy some and weld them on. Done several of these and their no big deal. While you're in there, check the brakes and wash and grease the bearings, get the numbers off the bearings and by at least one spare pack it in Greece and keep it squirreled away somewhere in the trailer. This can save you a lot of driving when your way out in the middle of nowhere.
    Exactley - Princess auto has spring perches and EVERY thing else you might need for suspension and brake work too !
    The wheel hubs with bearings and seal in it are CHEAP when on SALE - i would pack one of those too ! jmo RJ

Have a look at this forum for great ideas. I have a 6x12 I converted to take my kids camping and hunting.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f...d414a56b78d6c9