Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone get in trouble with CO about Hunting with both Rifle and Bow beofore?

Re: Anyone get in trouble with CO about Hunting with both Rifle and Bow beofore?

Thanks everyone. You guys may have saved my life today. I was sitting on a grain field waiting for deer when a mother and cub came out of the bush 50ft away. Mom was not happy. One shot into the dirt scared them both off though.
    Yelling didnt scare them off. So if I only carried my crossbow, i dont know what would have happened.

Re: Anyone get in trouble with CO about Hunting with both Rifle and Bow beofore?

Defender with me when I am hunting with crossbow, plus pepper spray. Is there a law that says I can't carry two loaded rifles??

Quote Originally Posted by Shermanator View Post
    Defender with me when I am hunting with crossbow, plus pepper spray. Is there a law that says I can't carry two loaded rifles??
    Actually, I believe their used to be a law against hunting with 2 firearms to some effect. I don't recall if it was 2 centerfire rifles or 2 shotguns (for duck hunting) though, and not sure if it's still a thing. I vaguely remember when I did my CORE course ages ago that there were maybe restrictions on carrying 2 rifles (only one could be centerfire or something) as well as 2 shotguns for waterfowl. I think the waterfowl one might be a thing still, not sure about the other...

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    Actually, I believe their used to be a law against hunting with 2 firearms to some effect. I don't recall if it was 2 centerfire rifles or 2 shotguns (for duck hunting) though, and not sure if it's still a thing. I vaguely remember when I did my CORE course ages ago that there were maybe restrictions on carrying 2 rifles (only one could be centerfire or something) as well as 2 shotguns for waterfowl. I think the waterfowl one might be a thing still, not sure about the other...
    There is something of that nature for hunting migratory birds. As the shotgun is supposed to be limited to the number of rounds, I guess they don't want you sitting there with 5 shotguns ready to rip and not have to reload

As far as hunting with two rifles, I combed the regs as well as the wildlife act with regard to that and could not find anything. I do not believe there is an issue at all.

Carrying a rifle during bow season, definitely no law specifically against that. There are animals open to rifle and animals open to bow, so legal opportunity for both. That aside (even if there was nothing open for rifle) there is still no specific law against it. A conservation officer would have to believe you were using the rifle to shoot species that are no open for rifle and there would need to be evidence of that for a case. Being charged for simply carrying the rifle during bow season would be a "thought crime" ... very unreasonable and I have never heard of it happened so I have zero concern about having a rifle around during bow season (in my case for protection)

That said, if anyone is concerned about it, the best thing to do is email the ministry for clarification as they are the authority on the matter. They will reply back with clarification on the issue and then you can print out the letter, carry it around in your pack or whatever. In the event you run into an issue in the field you can present said letter to clear things up.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    There is something of that nature for hunting migratory birds. As the shotgun is supposed to be limited to the number of rounds, I guess they don't want you sitting there with 5 shotguns ready to rip and not have to reload

As far as hunting with two rifles, I combed the regs as well as the wildlife act with regard to that and could not find anything. I do not believe there is an issue at all.

Carrying a rifle during bow season, definitely no law specifically against that. There are animals open to rifle and animals open to bow, so legal opportunity for both. That aside (even if there was nothing open for rifle) there is still no specific law against it. A conservation officer would have to believe you were using the rifle to shoot species that are no open for rifle and there would need to be evidence of that for a case. Being charged for simply carrying the rifle during bow season would be a "thought crime" ... very unreasonable and I have never heard of it happened so I have zero concern about having a rifle around during bow season (in my case for protection)

That said, if anyone is concerned about it, the best thing to do is email the ministry for clarification as they are the authority on the matter. They will reply back with clarification on the issue and then you can print out the letter, carry it around in your pack or whatever. In the event you run into an issue in the field you can present said letter to clear things up.
    Yea, I think the 2 rifle thing was an old old reg that has likely since been removed. One of those things people just scratched their heads at...