Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone get in trouble with CO about Hunting with both Rifle and Bow beofore?

Anyone get in trouble with CO about Hunting with both Rifle and Bow beofore?

I went deer hunting in 7-13, with a crossbow last evening. I was hunting on my friend's farmland and although I didn't see any deer, I did see a black bear as I was coming around a corner on a trail, leading to the grain fields. Unfortunately, he saw me before I could see him. He was 100 yards away and he b-lined it to the trees. I didn't really feel like chasing after a black bear, in thick bush, with just a cross bow.

I was thinking of bringing my rifle with my crossbow, to my blind, just in case there's another one. Has anyone faced any issues with this before? I know it's clunky but I won't be moving around much. I'll just be sitting in a grain field. I know some CO's can be pretty nit picky about the regulations.

Edit: It's bow season for ungulates and open black bear
    Last edited by bruce44; 09-02-2020 at 09:10 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone get in trouble with CO about Hunting with both Rifle and Bow beofore?

I mean technically if there’s a rifle season open there shouldn’t be a problem. Of course I guess if the CO is a dick you might have an issue

Re: Anyone get in trouble with CO about Hunting with both Rifle and Bow beofore?

It's bow season for ungulates and open black bear season at the same time. I don't want to be accused of hunting ungulates with a rifle during bow season.

I carry a loaded rifle when I’m in the woods. Predator protection. No law broken. I carry a firearm for the same reason they do.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

I've haven't heard of any issues. There is no rule in the regulations that states it's unlawful to carry a legal firearm during bow season for wildlife protection. If a CO believes you to be lying and hunting with the firearm you say you are carrying for protection, it's his call if he wants to lay a charge or not. But I would suspect he would need some sort of proof you are actually hunting with the firearm otherwise his charge wouldn't go to far in court.

Same for a warning or fine, both can be contested if you get accused of something you were not doing.

I know a couple folks who carry a defender type shotgun and one who likes a lever action 45-70 while bowhunting
    Last edited by Ron.C; 09-02-2020 at 09:23 AM.

as long as your deer doesn't have a bullet hole in it, you should be fine.

Isn't that part of the experience to hunting with a bow - that you don't have a rifle with you?

Or is bow season just an opportunity to harvest something?

Don't care is someone carries a rifle while bow hunting, just wondering.

Bear spray
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    Isn't that part of the experience to hunting with a bow - that you don't have a rifle with you?

Or is bow season just an opportunity to harvest something?

Don't care is someone carries a rifle while bow hunting, just wondering.
    It all depends on your perspective. I can’t bow hunt due to shoulder and elbow injuries, but if I could, I’d be packing a compact shotgun or mares Leg in .44 mag for defence purposes, especially if I were in grizzly country. I know you can’t hunt a grizz, but if it’s a “him or me” scenario, I will be shooting first and asking questions later.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    I carry a loaded rifle when I’m in the woods. Predator protection. No law broken. I carry a firearm for the same reason they do.
    Read this again and head for the woods with your bow and rifle!