Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Calling in Elk

Re: Calling in Elk

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    our approach is a little different than some posted above...but it has served us well over the years.

we don't worry about noise, don't worry about wind.....we just pick a route in the morning and pound through, bugling as loud as we can every 200 yds. Throw in some cow calls if ya like. When we get a response, we aggressively pursue...go straight at it, continuing to bugle intermittently. Generally speaking as long as the cows are still moving towards bedding, the bull will not stop, but will usually keep sending "F-off" bugles back at ya, which helps you keep tabs on em. Now, when the cows slow down or stop long enough for you to get into the bulls comfort zone....he WILL turn and come back to kick your ass. he will circle to try and get the wind and get a look at you. This is where you send the shooter ahead and to the side you expect him to circle....he/she stays silent and somewhat hidden.

It sounds counter productive to go at it this aggressively....but it has worked VERY WELL for us....14 big bulls in 7 years when we were heavy into elk hunting....havent been after elk for about 5 years...but we're back onto it this year, so hopefully good results will happen!

Good luck to you!

Lot of great tips, and I like this method. I certainly try to close the distance at the closest opportunity. Much appreciated and will see how it goes this year. Heading out in the morning and it seems like I’ll need a gas mask if the smoke keeps on coming in!!

I donno about all the fancy tactics I parked my truck bugled out the window and boom 7x5 comes running and chuckling in to meat his fate this morning. ��

All bulls react differently and almost every situation is different. One thing I’ve learned is if you have a bull calling just copy him. It really pisses them off and works them up, especially early in the season. Cheers and good luck to everyone. There’s nothing like a bugling bull coming in hot.

Interesting to read all the great advice. I'm definately taking notes. Just got back from the southeast, hunted last Thurs thru yesterday. Our group had terrible results. Couldn't get them to talk at all for the first 3 days. In the mornings there'd be elk tracks over our tracks, so I knew we were being heard. We were out at the crack of dawn trying to take advantage of the cooler temps. Not sure if was the intense heat or the smoke but just couldn't locate animals that were obviously there. The smoke actually made the days cooler than the sunny, clear weather we had before it arrived. Moon should not have been a factor, as we think clear nights with full moons can negatively affect hunting.

Not sure if our experience last few days is like others' but it was terrible. We finally got a bull to call back a couple times yesterday but he quit answering after a couple despite being far enough away that I doubt he gathered his cows and split. I'm not the most experienced elk hunter out there but out group has had success in the 10 or 12 years we've been at it... although this is year 2 of camp skunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz.325 View Post
    I donno about all the fancy tactics I parked my truck bugled out the window and boom 7x5 comes running and chuckling in to meat his fate this morning. ��

All bulls react differently and almost every situation is different. One thing I’ve learned is if you have a bull calling just copy him. It really pisses them off and works them up, especially early in the season. Cheers and good luck to everyone. There’s nothing like a bugling bull coming in hot.
    Yup, imitating the bulls call seems to work well.
    Some bulls really get pissed when you chuckle at them, especially if you bugle like them.
    Also, start with higher pitched calls for locating, rather then full out bull roar bugles.
    Big bull calling is for big bulls, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Looking_4_Jerky View Post
    Interesting to read all the great advice. I'm definately taking notes. Just got back from the southeast, hunted last Thurs thru yesterday. Our group had terrible results. Couldn't get them to talk at all for the first 3 days. In the mornings there'd be elk tracks over our tracks, so I knew we were being heard. We were out at the crack of dawn trying to take advantage of the cooler temps. Not sure if was the intense heat or the smoke but just couldn't locate animals that were obviously there. The smoke actually made the days cooler than the sunny, clear weather we had before it arrived. Moon should not have been a factor, as we think clear nights with full moons can negatively affect hunting.

Not sure if our experience last few days is like others' but it was terrible. We finally got a bull to call back a couple times yesterday but he quit answering after a couple despite being far enough away that I doubt he gathered his cows and split. I'm not the most experienced elk hunter out there but out group has had success in the 10 or 12 years we've been at it... although this is year 2 of camp skunk.
    Elk hunting is a blast, but it comes with a lot of fails.
    Like Niki Lauda (f1 driver said), you learn more from losing then you ever do from winning.
    Thats Elk Hunting!!

Hey guys, so here’s a story for you. Been at it for three days and they’ve been super quiet. It was smoky and hot for the last three days. We’ve been working hard and putting in a lot of time; seen quite a bit of sign but they weren’t moving much. It cleared up a bit last night and cooled down overnight, so we headed out early again this morning and I finally got a bull to respond to my call (first bull to respond to me...EVER so I was super happy to hear that bugle back). I guesstimated he was about 400 yards out. I closed in the distance to about 250 yards and challenged him. I mirrored his calls as much as possible (thanks for this advice by some of you), and he came right in. I was in the tree line for some concealment and he eventually came out after talking to me for about 15 minutes.

The wind was perfect and he came out into a small clearing 85 yards from me. He was moving behind some small Christmas trees and I couldn’t see the front of his antlers. He had a nice big fork behind his royal tine but I couldn’t go based on that. It didn’t feel right to me and I certainly did not want to end up with a 5 point if he was missing a tine. He stood broadside at 85 yards for about 20 seconds, with the front of his antlers concealed behind the Christmas tree. I had his vitals in my scope and just needed him to move enough so I could count the first three points. He didn’t, and must’ve winded me. He walked back into the thick trees and I tried to call him back, he answered me while moving away but kept on going.

Part of me is devastated, and the other part is very satisfied that I did the right thing. I needed to count those 6 points and I couldn’t rely on the 2 points behind the royal tine. Mixed feelings and I’m a bit down, not gonna lie. At the end of the day, I am extremely happy I got to call in my first bull and get him within shooting range. The experience alone was worth every effort we’ve put in so far.

Thank you for all the advice, as it has really helped. Two days to go so fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermonster View Post
    Hey guys, so here’s a story for you. Been at it for three days and they’ve been super quiet. It was smoky and hot for the last three days. We’ve been working hard and putting in a lot of time; seen quite a bit of sign but they weren’t moving much. It cleared up a bit last night and cooled down overnight, so we headed out early again this morning and I finally got a bull to respond to my call (first bull to respond to me...EVER so I was super happy to hear that bugle back). I guesstimated he was about 400 yards out. I closed in the distance to about 250 yards and challenged him. I mirrored his calls as much as possible (thanks for this advice by some of you), and he came right in. I was in the tree line for some concealment and he eventually came out after talking to me for about 15 minutes.

The wind was perfect and he came out into a small clearing 85 yards from me. He was moving behind some small Christmas trees and I couldn’t see the front of his antlers. He had a nice big fork behind his royal tine but I couldn’t go based on that. It didn’t feel right to me and I certainly did not want to end up with a 5 point if he was missing a tine. He stood broadside at 85 yards for about 20 seconds, with the front of his antlers concealed behind the Christmas tree. I had his vitals in my scope and just needed him to move enough so I could count the first three points. He didn’t, and must’ve winded me. He walked back into the thick trees and I tried to call him back, he answered me while moving away but kept on going.

Part of me is devastated, and the other part is very satisfied that I did the right thing. I needed to count those 6 points and I couldn’t rely on the 2 points behind the royal tine. Mixed feelings and I’m a bit down, not gonna lie. At the end of the day, I am extremely happy I got to call in my first bull and get him within shooting range. The experience alone was worth every effort we’ve put in so far.

Thank you for all the advice, as it has really helped. Two days to go so fingers crossed!
    whenever I call an animal into a gunshot range, I consider it a success. The only thing that stopped you is the law, not your skills as a hunter.

Great story. What region are you in that you're hearing a reply? It's been very quiet....

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermonster View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lionhill View Post
    Great story. What region are you in that you're hearing a reply? It's been very quiet....
    Same here, very quiet except the bull this morning. Region 4, West Kootenays

I'm about to head out with some friends in the west koots starting this Friday. Hopefully we can find a dumb one with 6pts