Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling in Elk

Re: Calling in Elk

708, great links thanks, that passes the morning nicely
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I like the Corey jacobsen/remi Warren method of bugling often and getting in their face as fast as possible with more bugles. Wind is the determining factor for every scenario.

Thank you for all the responses and tips everyone. Yes, I’ve definitely watched my fare share of YouTube videos over the last few years... like all of you probably have! haha

We’re heading out on Sunday for a week and will see what we can get. I have two different cow calls, a couple mouth reeds, and a bugle tube. Will try different techniques and will definitely try to stay downwind.

Much appreciated again and all the best on your hunts

Watch the thermals up in the cool of the morning, down in the heat of the late morning and afternoon, back up in the cool of the evening. Keep checking the wind.

our approach is a little different than some posted above...but it has served us well over the years.

we don't worry about noise, don't worry about wind.....we just pick a route in the morning and pound through, bugling as loud as we can every 200 yds. Throw in some cow calls if ya like. When we get a response, we aggressively pursue...go straight at it, continuing to bugle intermittently. Generally speaking as long as the cows are still moving towards bedding, the bull will not stop, but will usually keep sending "F-off" bugles back at ya, which helps you keep tabs on em. Now, when the cows slow down or stop long enough for you to get into the bulls comfort zone....he WILL turn and come back to kick your ass. he will circle to try and get the wind and get a look at you. This is where you send the shooter ahead and to the side you expect him to circle....he/she stays silent and somewhat hidden.

It sounds counter productive to go at it this aggressively....but it has worked VERY WELL for us....14 big bulls in 7 years when we were heavy into elk hunting....havent been after elk for about 5 years...but we're back onto it this year, so hopefully good results will happen!

Good luck to you!
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Get aggressive with the challenge bugles, and estrous calls.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

lots of great tips ..check wind ALOT when the bull/bulls are getting close. Was really close on a big 6pt that would come up to his piss pits about 7:30am working up as thermals were still going down. He gets to his pit about the time when wind was changing and swirling so i had to drop a bit down the other side of the ridge and sit tight. He was very quiet older bull and bugled 2-3 times only over 2 days i was on him.

Take temperature of bull and adjust calling accordingly

When the moment comes be aggressive at getting the shot! Ive made the mistake alot of 'i dont want to get busted so i will try again tonight or tommorrow' - that chance may not come again.

Lots of good posts here.
    #4 was a good one as well as #15

The main factor is the situation.
    Is the bull solo, is he a satellite, or is he a herd bull, and does he have cows???

A solo bull, looking for cows (doesnt matter on status, imo), will come in, if he is ready (sometimes too hot or he just had an ass whooping, so timid).
    Bugles at first, so he can hear you (cow calls dont travel far), but throw in cow calls right away after bugle, then wait, then repeat every 10-15 min.
    Once he responds, throw him a few, F-off small bull bugles and cow calls.
    Once he comes in, and is calling, cow calls.
    He might come in silent.

The big issue is when a bull/s have cows.
    A Satellite might come in anyways, but a herd bull wont leave cows.
    Sometimes bugling, but not knowing that there is a bull with cows in the area, may cause them to round up, head off elsewhere, AND you never knew
    they were even there (i have watched other hunters, watching a herd and seeing exactly that, dozens of times!!)

Spotting is always best for herd bulls, then make your way in.
    But not every location has that opportunity!
    Thats why you throw out high pitched, single note, hello bugles (locating)
    Sound small, but a bull looking to join the pack.
    Listen for bull calls, BUT, also Cow Calls!!

Once you hear a bugle, and you are not sure if it is solo or a herd, you can stay put, and see if it gets closer.
    IF it does, wait and do what i have said already.
    If it stays in the same area, or moves away, stop bugling, and START MOVING!
    Make noise is okay, remember wind (or it is game over!!), and COW CALL from time to time.

Now, as said, if you get right in them, let a bugle rip, and be prepared to be run over!!
    Might be you just walked into them or they walked into you??

One last thing, if a bull is coming in:
    If he can, he will always travel to your "down wind side"!!!
    You got to keep him cut off from doing that, either by you or a hunting partner staying quiet and waiting ( possibly on 50 yards).
    Sometimes they expose themselves due to terrain, then no problem.
    Other times, they have a lot of timber to work with to move downwind, so keep that in mind!

A 2 person system is best.
    A bull knows EXAcTLY where you are standing, even from 800 yards away, imo.
    Another hunter, ahead of you as a bull comes in is best.
    Sometime i act as a herd bull, leaving my buddy right where i started to make contact with a bull.
    If the bull is coming in, and is almost there, i start to "walk away"!
    Trying to get bull to follow me, and thus walk right by my hunting partner.

Many ways to hunt them, and no one way is always going to work.
    Depends on the bulls status, and terrain and time of day, imo.

Good luck

Thanks very much for taking the time to type this out. Very helpful and I will
    keep all of this in mind. It’s been very hot unfortunately as you all know. Hope it cools down quick because I can’t change my dates this year and only have a short window to be out there.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Elk can be frustrating. Each situation is different. A lot of times a bull will round up his cows and push them away from you. He may come back to see if he can grab some of yours once he has his a safe distance from you, or he may just keep going. If you get right in on him, he knows he lost his opportunity to run and you will have a better chance at getting him in. As a general rule, If I hear a bull elk answer, or call, I try to get within 200 yards of him without callingback. Once he answers, don't waste any time closing the distance. I usually don't even try to be quiet. Get in his face and call again. If he answers, call right over top of him. (put some hours in on learning to call. I think this is where a lot of elk hunters are lacking.) You want to sound like a medium bull for best results. I'd try a double reed for that. Always play the wind too. If it is wrong, you already lost. Back out and come back later. Good luck this year. Keep at it and you will be successful. I hope to see some pics of your bull this year.

Thank you for all the tips. Fingers crossed we make it happen this year. Happy hunting to you as well.